BootsnAll Travel Network



Dec. 24 – Mexico, Baja

Day 145 – After a six mile jaunt down a dirt road, not as bad as everyone made it out to be, we arrived in the isolated town of Cabo Pulmo, where there are only radio phones, that cost a fortune to use and a minimal grocery store. Though there are plenty of restaurants and a few snorkel and dive shops. We headed south, out of town, to the other side of a mountain ridge so we could snorkel where it was less windy. After finding a good camping spot in the dunes, we headed out to test our new snorkel gear.

__
Road to Cabo Pulmo__________desertscape of Cabo Pulmo area – Taken by Peter

__
Cows taking 0ver the road…

The water was pretty cold, we were told that it is supposed to be warmer than the west coast of Baja – but it wasn’t at all! We saw a bunch of different fish and a few live plants on the coral, it was pretty cool. That afternoon, after our first two short swims, we went back into town and Peter rented a wet suit from the Cabo Pulmo Dive Shop for only $50 pesos a day. Carmel, thanks for your advice on traveling, it was great meeting you, and we hope to see you sometime in the future! We are now ready for our Christmas morning dive.


Our camp cow and Peter.

In Mexico the big celebration happens on Christmas Eve – so we had a big dinner on Christmas Eve, the boys ate fried fish tacos from some homemade batter (Peter received the fish from a fisherman that had too much in his fridge) and I had some burritos. Peter brought us really great presents: some items we wanted from the states. My mom, sister, and Peter bought us a bunch of items we wanted along with some extras. Thank you guys so much for the camper meals, candy, magnets (needed them for making a bug screen), and everything else! We felt so spoiled, we didn’t think that Peter would be able to bring down anything except just a few items. I think one of the best items was a few bottles of Peter’s homebrewed beer from his master brewing process. Dark beer is nonexistent in the south and it was nice to have such a tasty porter, and it will probably be my last one until we hit Russia 😉 We got Peter a barley wine from Rogue Brewing Company, based in Portland Oregon, that was also quite tasty – he was generous enough to give us a little.

___
Tasty fish taco…._________________presents on x-mas eve 🙂 – Taken by Peter.

As we were cleaning up from dinner and presents, a group of carolers came and sang to us. They invited us to a Christmas Eve celebration at someone’s RV campsite. It was an interesting time, with retired people dancing and drinking the night away. This area has a strong community of people that come down every year for the sun and holidays. It was really great for them to invite us to share in their decorated Christmas trees and music.


Christmas Carolers



Tags: , , , , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.