BootsnAll Travel Network



April 7 – Chile

Day 249 – A new day, and time to start hitching. The driver who stopped for us yesterday had told us that there was nothing in the town north of us, Cullen. So we decided to go the other direction, southwest to Porvenir. Porvenir is the biggest town around here, but about 150 kilometers away (93 miles). We got a ride to outside of San Sebastian and waited there to find a vehicle to take us west. The wind just never stops blowing here, I’d hate to find out how cold it gets in the winter, since this is only fall and it feels close to zero Celsius. After awhile we caught a ride in the back of an empty wood truck. Nice ~ we were set. Only for 20 kilometers (12.5 miles), the truck pulled over and informed us that they are going somewhere else, but that we could catch a bus from that town to Porvenir in the evening. We said thanks and decided to get off and find another ride to Porvenir.

Near the road there was a very worn out metal shack. It had bare bed frames and empty wine & beer bottles on the floor, and a window (no glass). I think it is/was used for the sheep ranchers when they are herding. We stood inside and watched for cars. After three or four cars when by without stopping, even with us looking as happy but pathetic as we could. They were all passenger cars and they don’t really like hitchhikers; can’t blame them too much – but we are out in the middle of no where. We decided to walk back to San Sebastian in hopes of maybe catching a bus from there and grabbing a bite to eat at their restaurant. As we were walking back a passenger truck, headed for San Sebastian drove up. We hitched a ride with them and as we chatted Jason and I watched two cars and one semi pass us going to Porvenir. Shoot. Oh well, things usually happen for a reason – this breakdown makes me keep believing that. The two gentlemen that picked us up were heading to Rio Grande to visit their brother, very friendly men. We tried to hitch from San Sebastian with a sign for Porvenir – it saved us time because most semis were headed north to Rio Gallegos. We had no luck and were feeling frozen again, so we decided to see if the border officials would help us find a ride and thaw out a bit there. The police at the border told us that it would be best for us to go to Cerro Sombrero instead of Porvenir, because it was closer and they have mechanics. He found us a ride with a semi heading that direction, which was going back the direction our van was. We asked to be dropped out off at the van since it was close to sun set and we didn’t want to be stuck in a town and have to pay for a hotel. We wouldn’t get much more accomplished today anyway. We had filled up our nalgene bottles (love these indestructible bottles!) at the immigrations office, so dinner was no problem tonight.



Tags: ,

4 responses to “April 7 – Chile”

  1. Andy says:

    Hey you two, I am hoping you found mechanic and a tow. My best.

  2. uncle Dave says:

    It sounds exciting, I know you will make the best of things and be on your way some how. I sure feel comfortable watching spring arrive here on the farm. This will be a trip to remember the rest of your lives.. Some day your kids and grandkids will love hearing about you trip and Henry. Good luck
    Uncle Dave

  3. mom says:

    Hope all is going well.
    love,
    M & M

  4. Teddy says:

    This does sound exciting. I wish I wasn’t already roped into a 9-5 and traveled. Thanks for posting all of this stuff, I found it a little while ago and I’ve been day dream at work ever since!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.