BootsnAll Travel Network



Dec. 22/23 – Mexico, Baja

Day 143/144 – This morning Jason and I got up at dawn to watch the big waves roll in. Today a big swell is coming down the coast and creating big waves. It was impressive to see, though not as big as they were saying. As we watched from the ridge we only saw three or four surfers go out to try and to surf them. After they rode one wave in that was it, no one else made it out into the ocean until the waves lessened later in the morning. The waves kept pushing anyone who tried back to shore no matter how hard they paddled. We packed up the van after being graced by the presence of huge waves and headed toward our destination – Cabo Pulmo.


Crashing waves…. somehow we lost a bunch of photos of the big waves, so this is the only one I have to post – bummer.


Oscar lounging at his truck.


Raphael and us on the ridge.


All of us at the van 🙂

First we had to stop in La Paz and get our front shocks replaced. The dirt roads took the last bit of cushion out of them. Back to our favorite VW shop, Geraldo’s VW (2145 Madero Calle – 612.125.0056) who even uses email to set up appointments! After they looked at the shocks they told us that we cracked the torsion bar in the front. Oh, that is what that noise was the other day…. we thought it was just the shocks.. oops. Glad we took it in! So, that took longer to fix and we stayed the night at the beach near the ferry terminal.


Geraldo’s VW repair shop. The best place in La Paz!


La Paz boardwalk – Taken by Peter


Eating some yummy cookies on the boardwalk at La Paz. – Taken by Peter


Sunset at El Tecolote beach outside of La Paz. – Taken by Peter.

Got up next morning, enjoying our new front end with loads of cushion! The guys went fishing and afterwards we headed into town to do our shopping and get ready for the town of Cabo Pulmo, because they don’t have much there. After shopping at a crazy packed grocery store (it was the day before Christmas eve), we went to a store similar to Costco called City Club. They gave us a day pass to go look around and find our necessary items, including our snorkeling gear. Finally, we headed off to Cabo Pulmo, but had to stop an hour and a half earlier than our destination, due to night falling upon us. The last six or so miles to Cabo Pulmo is a dirt road, not something we wanted to drive on at night, so we camped at Los Barriles. We stayed at a nice RV park called Martin Verdugo’s Beach Resort (http://www.verdugosbeachresort.com) right on the water. We got a campsite, clean bathrooms and clean showers for $120 pesos. A great place to stay!


Pelicans having their morning tea – Taken by Peter


Jason fishing at the beach – Taken by Peter


Public market in La Paz – Taken by Peter


Downtown La Paz



Tags: , , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.