BootsnAll Travel Network



Trekking in Nepal

After 2 hours of writing, the power failed and I lost everything. (welcome to Nepal) Here is a brief synopsis of what I had…along with the photos:

After spending a few days in Kathmandu relishing in cuisine choices and the 68 degree weather, we set out for our trek. In our guidebook, it says trekking is just walking. True, but when you’re “walking” in the Himalayas…its 45% straight uphill, 45% straight downhill…and the occasional 20 steps of flatland. So go to your local gym, hop on the stairmaster, and plug away for the next 6 hours. Repeat for the next 7 days. I’m so knackered that typing is a chore.

The mountian views were magnificent, especially at Poon Hill. We woke up at 4:30 am to make the 1008 meter ascent in time for sunrise. (Luckily the soundtrack for this early morning pain session isn’t available, nor appropriate for children or evangelical Christians) Poon Hill is one of the best vantage points in Nepal, at an elevation of 3210 meters. That’s over 10,500 feet…and about 7 Sears Towers stacked on top of one another.

The goal was Annapurna Base Camp, but everyone on the trail was forced to turn back due to 5+ feet of snow and avalanches threatening from above. Much to JR’s chagrin and my secret delight, our trek was cut from 10 days to 7. We stayed in small village lodges along the trail. No heat and spotty electricity made the nights short and the mornings torture. There is a reason why the Amish don’t live in Alaska my friends.

Alas, here are the photos…which will give you a much better perception of the trek than my lazy rewriting, but still don’t begin to do justice. Click on “Annapurna Trek Nepal” below.

www.flickr.com

PEARSB's Annapurna Trek - Nepal photoset PEARSB’s Annapurna Trek – Nepal photoset



Tags: ,

2 responses to “Trekking in Nepal”

  1. Mike Meier (bored CH Robinson employee) says:

    Sweet photos and stories of your trips. I particularly like Poon hill and Jenn particularly likes JR’s beard. It appeared that you were not dressed warmly enough for a summit to the top of Everest!! Nothing too exciting happening in chicago right now. other than a bunch of drunks out for st patty’s day. nothing wrong with that.

  2. Elliot Birch says:

    Daaaaaaaamn JR you look like a true woodsman. Watch out for the Abominable snowman up in the mountains. Seriously it looks like poon hill is awesome. FYI, Mark Foreman says he likes JR’s beard and bush. He is very jealous.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *