BootsnAll Travel Network



The Airplane Fat Guy

Night at HKG
The Hong Kong airport is creepily empty and freezing cold at 3:30am. That’s when I woke up.

After spending 5 horrendous days in Vietnam trying to get our round the world tickets reprinted-the most frustrating experience of our trip-we landed in Hong Kong at 10:30 pm. Our flight for Tokyo left at 9:30 the following morning, so JR conned me into sleeping at the airport. At 3:30 when I opened my eyes, I was shivering in my jeans, flip-flops and linen shirt. The aircon was set at “ARCTIC”, and I couldn’t believe it was only 3 effing thirty.

By 9am we were boarding the flight, and my luck was finally changing. So I thought. I was looking forward to stealing a blanket from first class and settling in with Sudoku and a ginger ale. Seat 62K was between JR and a 450-lb man. With all of the petite Asian women on board…couldn’t they have paired the smallest lady with the biggest man? He occupied his seat and part of mine, and his heavy breathing was music to my ears for 5 hours. I can hear my mother scolding me for this post…but seriously, I couldn’t put my armrest down. Horrible. Luckily I was distracted by the South Park episode where the Mormon family moves to town.

So now we’ve been in Japan for four days–and absolutely love it. It’s not as expensive as we expected, and Tokyo is spotless and awesome and polite. More about that later…my free computer time at the hostel is up.

p.s. JR is currently battling both dandruff and extreme foot odor. And I have a zit.



Tags: ,

2 responses to “The Airplane Fat Guy”

  1. marm says:

    eeeeeeewwwwwww.

  2. cj perez says:

    i’m sorry that it was uncomfortable for you- we’ve all been there haha… but don’t forget that it was likely not only uncomfortable, but also embarrassing for the poor fat man.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *