BootsnAll Travel Network



A Weekend to Remember- Noeline- part one


 

A Weekend to Remember- Noeline – Part One


Feb 11-12th, 2006


I don’t know where to start.  It’s like I have been transported into another world and have lived a life and now I’m back and am at the place and time that I left before my “little adventure”!  
 
I will try and start at describing my hostess- and I’m sure that I will go off on tangents, so please bear with me.
 
My hostess is a woman from South Africa. She is in the second half of her life, but she has the energy of a woman in the early first half.  I am in my late 40’s and she can run circles around me.
 
Her name is Noeline.  That’s all you need, for EVERYONE knows that name of Noeline-even people that have never met her-they all KNOW of her.  She has quite a reputation and the shock is that the majority of people’s impressions are from “good” all the way up the scale to “in awe”.  I have to say that I’m in “the awe” group. And I’m sure that by the time that I finally get it all out about her- you will also never have met her, but know about her and will be awe of her.  Let’s take a bet?
 
I spoke to Noeline a few months back.  Another woman, Mary in Westport, whom I did not know but met on the web, gave me Noeline name.  I was asking Mary for information on Westport and she obliged. I then asked if I could barter a bed from Mary and she declined, but turned me on to Noeline.  Mary told me lots of things about Noeline and I was hooked at that point, yet I hadn’t talked to this woman yet! 
 
I called up Noeline and she was larger then life.  She was passionate, excited, compassionate, nurturing and so helpful.  But she said she also was not able to put me up.  At least she did say, when you get into the area-look me up and I’ll make you dinner. (Which is funny-since she hasn’t cooked or even turned on her stove for many years!)  I was disappointed by her lack of ability to put me up- I really wanted to spend time with this amazing creature and see into her life and her passions.  Just talking to her, it touched something in myself that was missing – which I never realized it was missing.  I usually would tell you all the things that excited me in this conversation- but have no worries, it will all come out in the next pages in great description! (Do you really think that I withhold all this from you?)


 
But since I have had to find a way to convey my story, I had to by-pass this earlier information.  But on to the story.
 
I had a picture in my mind of what Noeline looked like- the way her voice felt, and the feelings that she conveyed. I expected to find a short, round, motherly type wearing a flock and an apron.  But the woman that met me in a flower/garden center/health food store (yes…all in one!) was nothing what I had expected – she was better.
 
She has long hair tied into braids. She was very strong looking, meaning she didn’t have a face that was soft and aging; she was firm, clear and radiant. She wore a pair of well-worn brown pants and laced boots and a very well loved yet worked flannel jacket with layers of shirts.  She looked like she had been out working the fields or tending the cows.  This was a REAL woman.  A woman that was right in the mix of it.  I felt the strength of her; it hit you between the eyes.  This woman knew herself and liked what she saw.  There was no airs about her- she was what she was.  She apologized for nothing.  A sense of energy flowed in the door with her and filled the air of the tiny flower shop. 
 
I said, Noeline? And she said, Yes – and took one look at me and said, “I hope you brought other clothes, you are much to fancy for my place!”  And turned and went to the health food side of the room. I was left looking down at myself, I said, “this is all I have” – but my answer was only heard by me.
 
 The owner and her daughter were whirled up in the energy of Noeline. She said, “I’m here for my coffee” and the owner came around the corner to see if she had liked the kind she gave her to try the last time?  She said she had as she pulled all the bags off the shelf and left it bare.  The flower shop owner said, that’s not it; I have it down here- saved for you.  The thing with Noeline is that she is addicted to coffee, but not just any coffee- only the coffee that this shop carries.  I can’t recall what is the difference, but knowing Noeline she knows EXACTLY what the difference is and knows how it is picked, processed and shipped.  Noeline told me that she has one thing that makes her completely happy- and that’s coffee! It’s also her one vise, she doesn’t drink, smoke, take any drugs (the good/bad kind) and she is celibate- so she thinks that coffee is just fine to be addicted too!
 
After this exchange she cleared the saved box of all it’s contents and moved to the counter.  On the counter was some information about a group of woman that riding around Ireland to raise money to go to a third-world country and help people.  Noeline pulled out some money and said, it amazes me, this is grand that they are going to do this, but wouldn’t it be better if they raised the money by going around cleaning windows of the elderly- something much more practical then riding around Ireland?  She put the money on the counter and turned and picked up her packages and we were off.  I was in her dust and it was just the start of being in her dust for the next 2 days…
 
She drives an odd looking car/truck.  Its paneled sides so you can’t see into the little truck. (I just realized what it reminded me of!  It was a dog warden’s truck) It is squat in length but tall in headroom in the back, which is good for animals!  And it completely packed to the brim!  She is a woman after my own heart!  We LIVE in our vehicles and Noeline has for a VERY LONG TIME! She said, Ok raise you legs – put one foot there and the other here! It was quite a feat for me to get in, but I did.  She said that her brother lives in England and is very posh. He and his wife have shown dignitaries around the area.  She said if the Prince of Wales was coming to Ireland I would have him get in my car the way it is! And if he doesn’t like it, he could walk! (I told you, she doesn’t apologize!) 
It also smelled like a feed store, which would explain the goat feed bags in the back! She said, “it probably has a bit of a smell, but I can’ tell, I have no sense of smell.”  Lucky for her!  But the sense of smell adapts and mine was doing just fine by later that same day.
 
We drove out to her home – it seemed like a long way out, but it really wasn’t- but it could have been the fact that I thought it would be the last drive of my life that confused me with the time- it was like in slow-motion.  I could see every stonewall that came inches from my side door.  I saw the headlights of the cars coming straight for me for they all looked to be in our lane.  My heart would drop as she would pull into the wrong lane (my American perception of course) and I was just waiting for the next curve to be my last.  Now don’t get me wrong- I’m certainly not afraid to die (I know that we don’t really) but I am REALLY AFRAID OF PAIN! And the worry that it WON’T kill me- just leaves me in really bad shape!  But the torture of the ride ended and we pulled up to a house with huge stonewalls all around and a big green gate locking out the world. 
 
Noeline says that she locks the place up because of the people (kids I guess) that come in just to kill her animals.  For no other reason then that.  They don’t see animals as living things- but as disposal commodities, things to own and to do with as you wish.  Someone came in a killed her chickens and put the heads on her gate pillars……….
 
The house is locked up tighter then Fort Knox!  The driveway is just big enough to get her car off the road.  You have to get out, take the huge ring of keys that are clipped to the gate that separates the cab of the car/truck from the back and go unlock the big green gate.  Push it open (EVERYTHING push’s IN, in Ireland.  In the U.S. we PULL- I never realized it before- until I have tried to PUSH my way in every door in Ireland and have been given dirty looks by EVERYONE for being dumb!)  Then you have to get back in the car/truck and drive in the yard then out again to lock up Fort Knox.  I was tired just doing all this – OH, No I was tired of being folded in to a pretzel in that cab as she got out and did all that!
 
Then the sweet sound of  BARK BARK, arkkkk, BARK,BARK, BARK, BARK, BARK, BARK, BARK, BARK, BARK, bark, BARK, BARK, BARK, BARK, bark, BARK, BARK, BARK, BARK, BARK, B-A-R-K, arkkkkk, BARK, BARK, BARK, BARK, BARK, BARK, BARK, BARK, BARK, BARK, BARK, BARK, BARK, BARK, bark, BARK, BARK, BARK, BARK, bark, BARK, arkkkk, BARK, BARK, B-A-R-K, BARK, BARK, BARK, BARK, B-A-R-K, BARK, BARK, BARK, BARK, BARK, BARK…..it came from the right, it came from behind me, it came from the left, it came from the house….it came from EVERYWHERE.  There were so many, in so many tones, in so many different accents (yes- they have accents!) it was all around me, I could hear them, but I couldn’t SEE them…..at least NOT YET.
 
These sounds excited me!  I felt my heart lurch up- I wanted to cry.  I missed my sweet Brandy so much!  I really wished one of these barks were hers.  I wanted to love everyone of these dogs….but I soon learned that loving one dog was one thing and loving 19 is a completely different matter.
 
Noeline told me to just wait and she would take me to my room first, then show me around.
 
I first want to describe what I saw around me. There is a driveway between a house and another stone house.  The house is long ways to the drive and the stone house goes the other way (like an “L” with a drive between the tall part of the L and the short part).  The house has a long veranda running down it.  The stone house, at least the part that I can see is just a big stonewalls. To the right is the stone wall with the green gate, a big stone wall that is one side of the stone house, another big green fence that is solid that is made of tin, then a fence that runs all the way down the rest of the driveway that is about 30 feet long.  I can’t see where it ends at this point.  To my left is the veranda of the porch attached to house.  The veranda is very long and has both end covered up to make rooms- one end is a room that house’s an animal that I have no idea what it is. – it has a sign on it, saying stay back.  Then the veranda is open for a large part and it is overflowing with boxes of stuff.  Then the door to the house, it is a sweet Dutch door but it has a huge green door over it that is made of heavy duty fencing that is framed in metal with a big lock on it.  Then the last part of the veranda is also boxed in to make a room with another big door with a screen on the top part with another big lock.  This room houses about 5-6 medium size dogs.


I’m mesmerized by what I was seeing (and hearing).  Noeline comes around and helps me get my big red monsters out of the back of the truck and we go through the big tin gate.  It is awkward to PUSH and it opens up to a very long corridor.  I see the main part of the stone house, low hanging tree branch’s and an old car that is completely stuffed with cut tree branches!  It looks like a tree grew in it and then someone shoved all kinds of wood into it.  The back hatch is open and wood just shoots out of it.  On the left three very large male dogs that are in a huge fenced in area that house’s a small shed and about 6-8 doghouses. They scared me at first, I didn’t know they were there! They wanted to play and I felt I was going to be the ball!  Everywhere you look in this area is covered by gravel (as is the driveway).  They are barking away at us and I see that they are very healthy looking.  We walk past the “wood car’ and there is very primitive green door with the same green metal grate in a frame covering this door.  There is no lock but a little hand made hook.  Noeline proudly tells me that she made the door out of old wood.  And that the gate needs to be kept latched because cats go in the house and spray. (good info) As we enter the building she notifies me that I have to be very careful with my bags, I might need to try and carry them in front of me. I don’t quite get what she means until I walk into the building and find that it is stacked to the brim with box’s and books and furniture.  I see that she is gingerly walking sideways down a very narrow walkway.  I try and get the big red monster in front of me, but with all it’s pieces and parts hanging off of it, I almost pull down a big drum of something off of its perch and Noeline catch’s it just in time before it falls over.  She said “Be CAREFUL!” with a bit more intensity then I think she meant.  She said that everything in here is box’s up and sorted for the big sale that she is having the Saturday before Easter.  It’s to raise money to send stuff to Ghana.  I really can’t see what the rest of the space looks like because I’m clutching the big red monster to my chest and hoping that it doesn’t knock anything over!  We gingerly walk past all kinds of dish’s stacked up, candles, picture frames, table clothes, pots and pans and an electric heater (the heart of an Irish home- remember) and step over a  vacuum cleaner and she points to another door.  She again said that she also built this door from some other recycled pieces and parts.  She opens the door and I hear a humming sound. (The humming is a de-humidifier, she said that it has to stay on at all times – if not, everything would be soaked! Plus it was also a heater to take the “chill” out of the air.)  The little door opens up into a wonderful stone room!  It is all white washed and has about 15-18 inch deep windowsills with delicate shear fabric draped across the windows.  There is a wonderful black metal bed with a crushed velvet coverlet in terracotta with 2 big bolster pillows.  There is an old sewing machine base for a night table with ornate wood pieces as the top (came from a 1700’s church).  There is a small wicker chair and a very old weather beaten wood trunk under another window.  In one corner is a huge beautiful wardrobe with a mirror in the middle. Into the wall is a wonderful little fireplace with a grate (but the flue is blocked).  There are old picture frames on the walls of birds and little pieces of personal treasures on the tabletops.  There is a Buddha, and her granny’s bush set, and all these little finds.  She introduces me to a very old stuffed sheep that she uses for a nativity set for Christmas that sits on the old wood truck. She said she has to keep it in her so the dogs don’t tear it apart.
Above the fireplace is a wonderful painting of a young girl with a bandanna in her hair.  She has such an amazing look on her face and it gave me such comfort when I was falling off to sleep in the strange and wonderful place.  (It turned out, it was a painting her when she was a young girl)
 
I could sense that Noeline was holding her breath as I looked around the room.  She wanted me to be happy with the room and I was!  I loved it- it was so peaceful, and had such a personality to it.  I loved the mix of the antiques to the little bits and pieces of her collections.  It was a room of things that a person could display that shows parts of their personality- even if they didn’t know it.
 
She gave a big sigh when I told her that I loved it!  She then told me that when I have to tinkle in the night she didn’t want me to have to burst- so she has a little chemical port-a-potty for me.  I loved the thought and hated it too!- I guess this is the country equivalent to “en-suite” (bathroom off bedroom – only this one was IN the bedroom!)- (And in the night to come, I was very grateful for my little IN-suite)
 
Noeline told met that this stone building was the original post office in this area back I the early years.  But when she bought the property the roof was all but gone and she had used this very bedroom to raise Turkeys.  She then started to make the repairs and it was turned into an office for her and the room that is packed to the gills was a sitting room. 
 
After I was able to get a bit situated, I looked around the “storage room” and found that it is loaded with wonderful antiques!  It is all decorated with hanging plate collections, and hutches.  It has a fireplace that can house a family of 6 and exposed walls of the stone.  It would be a great place to live – if it had heat and plumbing – which it has none of. 


Noeline then took me on a tour of the compound. (my word not hers)  We came out of the stone house and turned left (away from the house).  Attached to the back of the stone house was another building that looked to be of recycled wood and opened a door to a small room that had a HUGE goat!  I was shocked to see such a huge animal in a small area.  And I have never seen such a H-U-G-E goat!  I didn’t know they grew them this big!  Gilbert is his name and he is BEAUTIFUL!  He has this crazy go-tee and he is so sweet.  He is up higher then we are, it’s like a raised area.  He takes up one side of the room and the other room is stacked with farm kind of stuff and metal garbage cans that house his food.  We carried in a 2 big bags of dry food – when I gave it to him I saw that it looked like corn flakes, which it was, “before they add all the crap that humans add to it, to eat.” (per Noeline)
 
We then went through another big pipe gate (with a pipe lock- of course) to a huge garden area.  It had all these beds of grass’s and plants and trees and things and there were all these walkways off the main one.  She showed me the bunny hutch that has 4-5 HUGE bunnies in it.  She said that these bunnies were very old.  They were all “Easter” bunnies that people bought for their kids and the kids got bored of them.  They had all been rescued from roads or dropped at her doorstep- they wanted to discard them.
 
Then we went to a larger wood and screen hut that housed a fox. She said that she rescued the animal after the previous owners got it as a baby and had its teeth broken off.  They wanted to have it in the house, but by tearing out the teeth, they removed any possibility that it could ever catch food for it’s self.  Noeline has it separate from her other fox’s because it can’t protect it’s self from them (with no teeth).  But she plans on building another large cage next to the other fox’s, so it can at least see and interact with them, but in a secure way. (I’ll talk about where these are soon)
 
We went around an area that was set up as a lounging area with mismatched lounge chairs and tables. (I was glad to see that she takes a rest sometimes!) and we came around to a very large screened in wood framed area that was housing 13 cats!  There were all kinds of little houses made for them of carpet, and containers and such and it even had a screened in roof.  It has the branches of a huge tree covering over it.  Noeline said that in the summer it’s a wonderful place with the vines hanging down and flowers covering it.  I was quite taken back that these cats were fenced in.  Being that many cats are outdoor cats, and they can roam.  She said that she was losing so many to being killed on the road, that she fenced them in to save their lives.  I didn’t get inside, but I could see that many of the cats had been badly hurt at one time.  Either by man or machine.  One cat had all kinds of damage to his face with terrible scaring.  But they all looked well taken care of.  Noeline said that this was a wonderful place to have morning coffee.  And I saw that inside this enclosure was a small table and chairs- to sit and relax and play and love these poor abused animals.
 
We went past a medium size pond, Noeline said that two Hungarian girls dug it out my hand one summer.  She needed a place to put water animals when she rescued them.  Noeline is trained in wildlife rescue and medical treatment.  She gets injured wild animals, nurses them back to health and re-releases them back into the wild- if she can.
 
Then she took me around more islands of plants to another big screened in area that had a few cats in it.  She is moving I think birds in here but it has mice and the cats are helping to move them out.
 
That was the end of THIS side of the compound.  It is AMAZING the amount of area that she has created to care for all these animals!  The time, the effort and the MONEY has got to be over-whelming for one person to take care of……
 
We went back to the main corridor and re-locked the big metal gate and were accosted by the male dogs on our way out the green tin gate. We went down the driveway to find that at the end of her house there are 4- 15’ tall rooms built side by side – they were connected to the wall of the house.  The fronts were all gated in with the same framed fencing that is over the doors and they had a smaller door built in.  These are meant to be cages for the animals.  They are very big inside – maybe 20-25’ deep.  Only the last one is being used to house about 6-7 big female dogs.  The other ones are stacked to overflowing of items that are sorted and being packed to be sent to Ghana!  They are packed with clothing, kitchen items, backpacks, schoolbooks, toys, school desks, chairs, tables, plastic chairs, shoes, etc.  Everything that you can think of these people need.  All or most of it is used- has been donated or bought by Noeline.  She has taken all the things that we have discarded as trash and has sorted, and sifted and repaired to make it of use to these people that literally have NOTHING. ( I will talk more about this later)
 
In the big cage that is attached to the house you can cut through to the rest of the compound.  It opens out into an enormous area that is mostly graveled.  This area is the run around area of the 6-7 female dogs.  In the middle is a cute little battered shed that is pack with God knows what – but will someday be Noeline office.  There is a complete wall of old tires that are being planted with a climbing flowering plant that will grow and soften the area.  This is separating the dog area from a very LONG – as long as the 4 stalls on the other side – it is a birdcage.  It will be painted and installed with all kinds of hanging things for the birds to perch on. It is currently empty. 
 
On one end is a really big area that is all grass and had the swan in it, which is accompanied by a big black bunny that comes running when it see’s Noeline!  It’s a really BIG bunny! I don’t know what she feeds these animals, but they are all bigger then life! 
 
Then you turn and see this ENORMOUS wood framed covered in screening – a FOX DEN.  It must be 60 ft long and 30 ft deep.  It house’s her 7 fox’s.  She got them as orphaned newborn babies, the mother was killed.  She couldn’t release then in the wild after they opened their eyes.  For a fox will always think that the person that they first saw is their mother- so they would always think that HUMANS were not to be feared – and they would go to them. Which is not the best thing to do (especially in Ireland).  So she has them and will have them the remainder of their lives.  She just had one of them in for an operation – on it’s eyes. And is mending it back to health.  This area is AMAZING. 
 
Then you see the back of her house which is stone also but painted a odd yellow and it is currently where she stores all the tools and such for her “farm”- but she said this is where she is going to build the new den for the toothless fox – so he can be by the other 7 fox’s.
 
Well, that’s the tour of the compound.  Now for the quick tour of the inside of her house…..
 
It is stone, like I said. It is REALLY old.  It is long- I think it has a second story, but I can’t see where. ( I heard her say it was “upstairs”)  You walk into the green Dutch doors and you are in a small “living room” or sitting room.  It is plastered and it was a small box fireplace and a beam for a mantel.  It is a cheery yellow with a unique collection of blue and white patterned plates hanging on all the walls.  She has paintings interspersed.  She has some pretty big furniture in here for such a small room – but it really works.  She has an amazing high bureau with picture frames all over the top.  She has her granny’s buffet with its ornate turned wood with vases of dried flours and tea sets and candles. She has a rounded glass front curio cabinet with collections of miniature and delicate items.  She has an old wood farm table in the middle with a rocker and straight back chairs.  She had a Swedish shelf (don’t know why I call it this- but that’s what popped into my head – I’ll have to ask her) that holds her phone and that kind of little items.  She has a big open closet that has a blue and white curtain over it (it house’s Sally – a poor abused dog that is afraid of it’s own shadow – when she first got her, she ran into this closet and won’t come out (except to eat and got outside) – she did peek her self out to check me out and she is a medium size dog with back and white markings. She has a medium size grandfather clock (that doesn’t have it’s workings – I tend to think) that her father gave her as a young girl (good story on this clock later).  There is another fabric chair with wood arms and a trunk with quilts on it.  It has wall-to-wall furniture, but it feels very open.  But it is SO COLD.  There is no heat in this house that I could find.  It was like an icebox!
 
Off this main room are a bedroom (with en-suite) to the front of the house (Noeline’s) and a tiny kitchen to the backside.  And on the other side is a  very tiny cute single bedroom with a bathroom off of it (which is over flowering with “new” items that are going to Ghana).  This is where the tub is in the house. Which I just about salivated over when I heard that she had a TUB!  I am a tub girl from way back. I can spend HOURS in the tub.  I am usually in the tub about 2-2 ½ hours each time! In the last house I lived, I had a bathroom that was HUGE (about the size of Noeline’s living room/sitting room) and I had a TV and a stereo in the room!  I ADORE baths and was so excited that I could have one in Ireland (only showers up to this point) – but there was ONE catch! We had to make a fire in the fireplace all day in order to heat the water to take a bath!  See what living in Ireland is like folks!  Or at least at Noeline!  So that’s what we did.  All day, we stoked the fire and in the evening I was able to take a nice bath- but I really didn’t think this whole thing out.  I was in a house that had no heat…….I was getting undressed and got into a very hot tub of water…..that really could not stay hot all that long because the room I was in was not heated…..I had to get out of this chilling water….by body was wet……I was in an unheated room……I ALMOST CAUGHT MY DEATH GETTING OUT OF THIS BATH!!!!  My teeth were chattering, I was frozen to the bone, and I thought that I was the dumbest thing that has ever walked this earth!  That is the last bath I take in Ireland, or at least at Noeline until it is SUMMER!


She made me a “hotty” which I’m sure that I mentioned in a earlier blog- the thing that I have fallen in love with……a HOT WATER BOTTLE!  Noeline calls it Hotty – and I humor her.  She made me one up and I could of crawled inside of it – I put it on under my coat (PJ’s with my wool coat, wool socks (THANK YOU JOHN)  and my hotty on my chest….it was my life saver!
 
I went back to my room – which also has NO HEAT- but she does have that little heater to take the “chill” out of the air.  Luckily Noeline said to turn it on before I came for the bath – so it will warm up the room.  There aren’t enough electric heaters in Ireland to warm up that room that night!  I could see my breath and I was wet and I have already been sick the majority of days since I have been in Ireland.  I wanted to scream! How could I have been so dumb to take a BATH!  But I kept the heater on for a while (I was only suppose to let it stay on till I went to bed) and used all my might to pull back the 15 comforters that she had on the bed (thank you God) and got in.  I had a book (I am reading like a crazy woman here) and tried to read.  I was getting warm under the covers (with hotty and the 15 covers) but the area’s that were exposed to the air – my face and hands were ice cold (plus my hair was wet – STUPID…STUPID…STUPID.  So I put on my gloves and closed the book and turned off the light and put my head under the covers! 
 
I slept like a BABY!  I slept for 11 straight hours!
 
Tune in next time for Part 2 – A weekend to remember – Noeline



Tags:

4 responses to “A Weekend to Remember- Noeline- part one”

  1. admin says:

    Dear Kym,
    What a wonderful description of Noeline and her place. I remember you
    telling me about her before you left. How fantastic that you met and
    she brought you home for awhile.
    I can’t wait to read the next installment!
    Love
    Linda

  2. Wanda says:

    Kym, how broadening.Living so basic..the bath is hillarious. I wish you could send an address to write to you.. i got your post card and near as I could figure it arrived within a week. I would send a goodie box.. including some hand warmers!
    I understand that without electricity you cannot update blog or even get this or any e-mail. Or an address to one of those relitives even their phone number.

  3. m88 says:

    Greetings! Very helpful advice within this post! It’s the little changes that produce the most important changes.

    Thanks for sharing!

    my webpage :: m88

  4. I was recommended this blog via my cousin. I’m not
    certain whether or not this publish is written through
    him as nobody else understand such particular
    approximately my problem. You’re amazing! Thank you!

    Feel free to surf to my weblog :: chantment (spikesoccerstore.com)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *