BootsnAll Travel Network



Part 2 – St. Pat’s Day


 


3/17/06
 
Well, the Luck-of-the-Irish was with me today.  My boss, Margaret called me and told me that I could leave at 3PM to attend the festivities of St. Patrick’s Day! YEAAAAA!
 
  I was so EXCITED!  Geralyn was going to take me into town with her daughter Laura.  Laura was going to NOT be at the clock tower dancing, she was now going to be in the parade with her school doing the salsa or something like that.  (See I told you that plans change around here all the time!)  I was to go to Geralyns to get a ride.  I showed up in my usual gray coat and black and brown scarf only to find a BEAUTIFUL green scarf on the steps banister!  It is Wonderful and crazy and sweet Geralyn stayed up till 2AM to finish it for me for St. Patty’s day! Isn’t she a love?  I really really love it and it is BOLD!  It made my day and when she told me it was mine I heard Laura in the background singing, “Geralyn loves Kym, Geralyn loves Kym…” and it was really funny, but I felt it too!  It was a wonderful validation to me that my new cousin did like me.  Even though she goes out of her way for me very often (rides to and from work), it was very personal and her effort was NOT lost on me.
 
And being in true form for Geralyn she had to show me different ways of wearing it.  But on this day, being that I WAS going to the parade, I took both of the scarfs with me – it was sure to be a cold TWO-scarf day!
 
Geralyn and Teresa were still planning on meeting me at the shop at 3PM to get a good spot for the parade.  I arrived at work very happy and excited-, which was easy to tell since I had the biggest stupidest smile on my face!  And to boot, I was dressed in all black with the BRIGHTEST green scarf around my neck!  I loved my scarf and I LOVED that it was green!
 
As we drove into town I was like a little kid with my face pushed against the rear seat window.  I was looking for the tell tale signs that it WAS St. Patty’s day- GREEN!  We drove in past St. Mary’s Catholic Church and one of the many mass’s that day was letting out and all I saw was muted green in the form of live shamrock pins. (These are a big deal in Ireland. They are live shamrocks with the roots attached – yet hidden by a cardboard circle backing.)  They are sold in a little plastic bag and it is called “ready for posting- shamrocks” Which means that they are designed to be purchased in Ireland and sent else where.  And I was sure to oblige them, for I purchased about 10 of them and sent them to different people in America.  Which is NOT a touristy thing to do, this is a “local” thing around here.  And they “locals” even purchase them for themselves-, which was seen on their lapels as they left church. But there was a sprinkle of brighter green here and there, I was a bit disappointed, as on this day in America the green JUMPS out at you- but here green was downplayed.
 
But not even this was to extinguish my excitement as we rounded the corner to my little shop; I was so excited to start my day!  I even jumped out of the car before Geralyn could come to a full stop and she yelled at me to be “careful!” like a mommy dropping off her kindergartener for her first day at school!


 
As I walked up the street I could just FEEL the excitement!  Even if you were from another planet and didn’t know what the day was you could feel something stat icing through the air!
 
I threw open the door and said “Happy St. Patty’s day” to Robert (Margaret’s fiancé and employee) and Ruth and went to the back to get drop off my coat.  This is when I decided to leave on my bright green scarf and came out to do my few hours and allow my excitement to build…
 
One thing that is ALWAYS is talked about in Ireland – (and in this little shop especially!) is the WEATHER! I swear that every other person mentions the coldness, the wind, the sun (if any little ray) or the RAIN or anything and everything in reference to weather is talked about in Ireland.  I think that it is everyone’s favorite pass time…. talking or remarking on the weather for that moment because it changes from minute to minute!   I have heard it daily (and I have partaken in this pass time with you guys on the coldness of the country- on more then one occasion!) 
 
But take “weather conversation” and multiply it by 100x and you will get the picture that I HEAR about the weather ALL THE TIME.  By the end of my work hours (only 3-4 a day) I am ready to slit my throat if I hear about the weather one more time!!!  Some one said on my second day in the job – If Ireland didn’t have extreme weather changes; they wouldn’t have anything to talk about!  Boy, is this true!
 
My Aunt Teresa thinks I just a crabby person letting this get to me- she said they are only trying to make conversation – which must be part of the case, but when friends of the other woman I work with make a ½ hour conversation on this one subject- I want to jump off the roof!
 
But on St. Patty’s day – I could of talked about the weather the whole day!  I was so happy with my stupid smile and my bright green scarf and my bubbling personality!  And I had “PINTS” on my mind!  I haven’t drunken much since coming to Ireland (a few in Dublin) but I was STARVED for an American Brew and a BUZZ!!!  That’s what I relate to St. Patty’s day and I wanted it BAD!
 
I was beaming with each and every person that walked in to our little shop. And the extreme GREEN finally started to show it’s little Irish head…. and so did my excitement.  Every time I saw a big gaudy hat or a painted face it made me tingle with excitement!  The little children came in with Mommy and Daddy and I would tell them how wonderful they looked and where they excited? And…I would be on them like flies on shit…. And they would look at Mommy or Daddy and say, get me away from this lady with the funny accent! I was like a jack in the box – out and bouncing around!
 
When I arrived to work the “true” St. Patties day people were still getting dressed and only the older more conservative Irishmen were out going to church- but soon the street started to buzz and I saw the first of many people with the silly green, orange and white colors of Ireland in every conceivable way.  They were in the hats and the scarfs; they’re clothing and even painted upon their faces!  I was thrilled!  I wanted more and more and soon the streets where covered with the paraphernalia of St. Patties day. 
 
The Girls and I had plans to meet up when I got off, which was 3pm.  I was working with both Ruth and Robert and I was counting the minutes till I could run free to the first pub I found and get down a pint before I was found by the Irish bloodhounds! (Teresa and Geralyn!)
 
Ruth was still at lunch at 3pm and Robert was way too smart to even look at me to say stay till she returned!  I was dressed and ready to go out the door when the clock stuck 3.  I went outside and called Geralyn and she didn’t answer and I ran back in and told Robert that I would be down at Matt Malloy’s if anyone was seeking me out. 
 
I fought my way into the very old and very famous pub.  Matt Malloy was a member of a very famous Irish band.  The pub is immortalized on postcards in every store and in books written about in the region. This is the very pub that I got into a lot of trouble about. ….
 
 One day while trying to kill time till I could get a ride home, I was tired of getting dirty looks from shop keepers when I would come in and drink a cup of tea for 2 hours, I would end up eating and that of course would cost me a day wages (I only work a few hours!) So I decided if I had to kill time and spend some money, I might as well go where I can sit for hours and no one would mind.  I decided on going to the pub at 4PM.  I picked Matt Malloy’s and went into the very narrow doors and to my delight – it was empty!  It is a very old establishment with thick wood benches and tables.  There are old photos of the owner and other famous Irish men (I had no idea who they were) and music items.  The wall decorations were not “displayed” in artsy fartsy ways like- fake places like an Applebee’s with all kinds of displayed items upon the shelves.  This was a place that had things added whenever they got something that they wanted to share.  It had a very quaint feel and rustic at the same time. There were only windows in the front so they installed mirrors very high up on the 12 ft walls to reflect the light into the interior.  It has 3 rooms that are connected in a row – the whole place is long and narrow (like all the other shops on the street).  The first room you enter has a portion of the bar and tables and benches throughout and of course the bar stools.  The next room is an odd little place, it is small and has a few tall tables that you kind of lean on and the 2nd half of the bar is in this small room.  Then the third room is a large room with little round tables with low chairs and the middle of the room is empty – maybe an area to dance.  It had a HUGE fire burning and I wanted so much to go and sit in there- but this room was very dark and had people sitting around drinking and talking.  I wouldn’t be able to read in there – so I went out to the front room and took a corner bench.
 
I went up to get a pint of Guinness and this huge bald Irish bloke behind the bar asked if I was on holiday (remember, I ordered – my accent gives me away!)  I said, no, I lived here.  He was surprised and said “Alright!” and stuck out his big hand and introduced himself and asked me my name.  I of course was and still am – not certain of his name, with his borough I have no idea what he said, but he still knows my name and calls me by name every time we run into each other.  I think that’s an amazing ability-to know names of people that you meet.  I can barely remember my own name or my family’s (I call Anthony – hey what’s your name!)  So I got a pint and got snuggled in my bench seat and read some “Sherlock Homes” and was quite happy.  Was getting a bit of buzz and only got a ½ pt for the second one.  And at the designated time walked over to Geralyn car and waited till she got out of work.
 
When I arrived to the house (I am currently living with Aunt Teresa and Anthony- but I’ll explain later) Teresa asked how was my day, I was getting out of my coat and had my back to her and I told her I finally saw the inside of a pub and had a pint.  I turned around to a Shriek!  She had her hand to her mouth and looked as if she had been kicked in the “fanny” (do you remember what that is in Irish?) I said, “What’s wrong?” She looked at my with disbelief and said “No you didn’t!” I said, “Didn’t what?” “You did not go into a pub alone in the middle of the day and drink a pint!??” I said I had and what was wrong with that?  She was so upset and said, “What will people think?”  I really didn’t get her point and said so.  She said, “NO LADY EVER GOES INTO A PUB ALONE – LET ALONE DURING THE DAY AND CERTAINLY DOES NOT DRINK A PINT! What will they be saying about me!” I laughed out loud and said that she was very old fashion and why would anyone care let alone know that I was attached to her?  She said it would be all over by this evening that HER American was in the pub!  She was simply horrified at my actions!
 
 
I still don’t Agree with this “belief” but in the last 8 weeks (current time) I may not agree with it, but as long as my actions have a adverse reaction on my Aunt – I will abide to her wish’s – but once I’m out of her home- Look out pub!
 
So now it is St. Patties day – and I KNOW that it can’t possibly matter to anyone that I was in a pub alone – PLUS no one will know that I was alone because it was PACKED!  I am having a drink and NO ONE can stop me – not even myself!
 
But I didn’t know at the time that the Irish wolfhounds were on my trail! No sooner then I got a good 2 gulps down and was trying to get my big Irish blokes attention (he looked like Larry in the Three Stooges with a curly red hair wig with a cheep plastic green top hat- and in this craziness he called me by name- I met him 2x!)  But I can’t call him- seeing that I don’t know his name!  So I want to get one more drink in me before I have to see the “non-drinking family”.  But the luck of the Irish seems to have run out for me, I’m poked in the side and turn to see the Irish wolf hounds looking at me with 4 big eyes staring at me and their mouths in the form of an “O”.  Geralyn said, “What did you have to say for yourself?”  I said, “Do I have time for one more?” Of course the answer was “NO” and they had me out the door before I knew it and chastising me on running to the pub the minute that I got out of work.
 
But I already had a buzz and let them lead me around by the nose.  The streets were electric! I was told that the parade would come up Bridge Street, so I positioned myself on the flower island by the clock tower. Geralyn went to get some take-away coffee while Teresa and I listed to the little Irish band on a stage by the clock.  It was a cold day, but with all the energy and being bundled up (and I had a pint in me)- it was a fine day.
 
I stood and waited and waited and waited.  I had no idea why it was taking so long for the parade to start…then to my dismay, it turned out they did NOT start by coming UP Bridge street – they came up Mill Street and across Shop Street, down James Street and across the Mall (pronounced m-A-ll) and THEN up Bridge Street!  I had my back to the start of the parade!  And by the time I realized that it was going on BEHIND me- it was 10 people deep and I was NOT going to fight to get a spot!  So I decided I would wait…and waited and waited till finally I saw the parade come up the street.  But then it came to a complete STOP! It turns out that the parade has become soooo big that it is now too big to make it around the town without running into it’s self! So they had to stop the front of the parade to wait till the back of the parade got past the intersection of Mill/Shop and Bridge Street! 
 
By this time, I was sober and getting cold and my excitement of the parade was gone!  I hadn’t ever been all that fond of parades, but I really wanted to record my FIRST one in Ireland for all you folks!  But by this point I was just taking photos of cute kids that were staring off into space or looking at someone else.  By the time the parade FINALLY got going it was all squished together and you couldn’t get a good look at anyone organization or sign.  All the kid were tired and running around and taking off their costumes and the adults were trying to keep them in line for the ending.  I was annoyed and wanted a drink.
 
The one highlight of the parade was when a colorful group of high school students made their way up the street and were coming into my line of fire.  I was looking through my camera lense to see if I saw some look that I fancied and I saw this girl that was moving her body in a very sexy way.  She was moving too and fro and she just had such an air of confidence and sex appeal.  I focused on her and I was shocked to see that it was sweet little beautiful Laura, my cousin!  I was stunned that she was so in touch with the “woman” in herself.  (I myself have NEVER even MET that woman in Myself- and I’m old enough to be her mother – really – I’M OLDER THEN HER MOTHER!)  I was very jealous!
 
So FINALLY the parade was over and the Irish wolfhounds said it was OK for us to find a seat and get a drink.  
 
We hit the Wyatt Hotel, which I had always wanted to go into.  But it was jammed and we pushed through.  We fought our way to the corner out of the way of moving people and soon found our way into a table.  The bar stools were so tall that I had to have help just getting up on one!  I got an American beer, Guinness puts me on my arse (ass to you Yanks) and the Miller Lite was Wonderful!  I loved it!  The tea totters had their thing and they even got it for FREE, I guess they felt sorry for them being in the pub with all these drunks. 
 
 
 
 They commenced on watching me every moment and would shake their heads in unison as I ordered a Pint and drank it like I was marooned on a dessert island for the last year, and promptly tried to order another one in the throngs of other celebrating St. Patties day drunks.
 
 
We sat for a few and Geralyn who is a text-phone-fool was texing back and forth with Laura and Sweet Mary (who was with Liam but they were already home), and Anthony texted that he was at the Clew Bay bar (pronounced Chew Bay).  So we made our way down there.  The bar is called Maddens and it just opened around Christmas and it’s a very high-end bar.  Lots of movable cubed ottomans (they call them poufs – and don’t know WHY!?!?!)  We got in and Anthony and some friends were off to a little area and Skinny Geralyn and Teresa were able to get back there and I stayed in the other area by the bar.  We later moved to another area up front and listened to the Brazilians play salsa music and sing.  (Salsa is the BIG thing in Ireland- Geralyn and her husband Dermot go Salsa dancing 2x a week and Anthony used to teach it and he still partakes in it)
 
I was getting slowly smashed and was happy about that!  But the Irish wolfhound #1 (Geralyn) was not.  She made me promise that I would go out with her later that evening when she could be “properly” dressed and not driving (we would take a taxi).  I told her that I would and I would be FINE.  So about 7PM we made our way back home.
 
Teresa had a wonderful dinner already made – the traditional St. Patrick’s meal of HAM and cabbage (no Corn BEEF!) and it was GREAT!  I was just about finished eating and had to go to the bathroom and on my way out I saw my bed (I have an en-suite) and the bed was calling my name: KYM…KYM….KYM…don’t you just want to crawl in for a minute?
 
 
How do you turn down a bed?  It was the best offer I had all day!  So I did and woke up 3 ½ hours later at 11:30PM and I found that Geralyn was gone…and not too happy with me!!!
 
So I turned and went back to bed and I haven’t heard the last of it….and I may never will.
 
Another thing about these Irish relatives around here ……they never forget!
 
So ends my first Ireland St. Patty’s day………hopefully, I’ll have many more.
 
 
 
Take care,
Kym



Tags: , ,

One response to “Part 2 – St. Pat’s Day”

  1. Übersetzung says:

    Many thanks for the fabulous post, this one has been book marked.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *