BootsnAll Travel Network



Visit Florianopolis – in your dreams…

Well, here I am tapping away on the balcony of my lovely pousada as the sun sets, drinking a can of beer and listening to 5 live go on about some French team beating Juventus when the real news is that Celtic have won the SPL.  All a bit bizarre.

Just got back from a couple of days on the other side of the island at a surfing beach known as Praia Mole.  All extremely nice and the surf was up, although not sufficiently to produce decent tubes, so I didn’t bother waxing my board and showing the locals how it is done.

Had planned to do a review of restaurants here, but it’s probably a bit boring if you’re not me.  Still, suffice to say that at the first one I ordered a half-carafe of wine and got a pint.  I didn’t complain.  At the second one I got crab at the suggestion of the waiter, who drew one for me to help explain the menu.  I tipped well.  The next day, as I was getting on the wrong bus, he was getting off it.  He put me right.  Kismet?  Karma?  Good luck?  Who knows, but the power of positive tipping remains a theme of this holiday…

Night three was a hotel meal with me as the only customer.  I understood when I got the meal and the bill.  Last night I ended up in a sort of Mongolian Barbecue themed Italian.  You chose your pasta and then had to make the sauce of your choice from a  list of ingredients.  Not sure it’ll take off.  Back to seafood tonight and plan to take it easy tomorrow, with perhaps half a dozen oysters (£2.50) at lunch tomorrow.

Slight problem is that I’m currently in a state of sunburn to my thighs and back.  Will this hell never end?  Answer: yes, in only 11 days time.  I see the temperature nearly reached double figures in London today.  Woe is me.

PS  My stay in a hotel in Praia Mole enabled me to catch up with my favourite satirical tv station.  It’s dead funny.  They have these really inept presenters who pretend that the war in Iraq (sorry – ‘The War On Terror’) is going to plan and that Tom Delay’s resignation is a blow to the Democrats.  You should see their coverage of the French demonstrations.  It’s hilarious and you should watch it some time.  It’s called Fox News – I do think they go a bit far though with their racist skits, though.  Some people might switch on and think they mean it!

TTFN (If you know your history…)

_41528028_hartsonceleb203[1].jpg

Something’s Got a Hold of My Heart(s) SOTD BTW

PPS – on that van with my name on heading for Wrexham. You didn’t see nuffin’, right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQjeJ2oe30k&search=boca%20river



Tags: ,

3 Responses to “Visit Florianopolis – in your dreams…”

  1. How many more wins Mike Says:

    The oysters sound fabulous, they are simply divine, I love them…..nearly as much as horse-racing. Just back from an Aintree preview evening and a horse called Mansony is so very,very fancied tomorrow in the 4:20. I think it will win too.

  2. Posted from United States United States
  3. JK Says:

    A very slow and contemplative start to today here in Brook Street. The dray man has just been and taken lots of empty Guinness kegs away and brought in lots of full ones.What DID happen last night?
    Hail! Hail!

  4. Elaine Says:

    Thought it was time to remind you of your colleagues in ART, although you have made it evident that you are not looking forward to leaving SA.

    I went to Claridges again the week before last, and was planning Petrus for next week. When I rang to book a table and gave her my phone no, she said “Hello Mrs Commons”, so it seems I am becoming a regular at Gordon’s. In the end we decided on Drones (Marco Pierre White), less expensive food so more cash for wine.

    Haven’t seen Vicky since she returned, but have a manager’s awayday tomorrow to do the business plan (what fun) so will catch up with her then.

    All well here, looking forward to your return and planning Richard’s leaving do. You will see some changes

  5. admin Says:

    When will I ever learn. 10p each way wasted again…

    Do we still have draymen, John?

    News of work! And those ever enigmatic changes… See you all soon.

  6. Posted from Brazil Brazil
  7. Gillian Says:

    “on that van with my name on heading for Wrexham. You didn’t see nuffin’, right?”
    Was the point of departure Heathrow by any chance?

  8. Posted from United States United States
  9. How many more wins Mike Says:

    Tomorrows beauty and you know it will win if you don’t do it, is …..I can’t do it, it’s even getting on my wick now. Whenever I give ’em they run awfully so I’m keeping quiet for once. Relief all round.

  10. Posted from United States United States
  11. JK Says:

    Yes. Draymen still exist although (as in the world of Fox News) in a distorted form. Wagons no longer advertise the well known fact that drinking Greenalls Pale Ale will make you a Champion.(Let’s all go misty eyed and recall the advert on the roof of the Sealand End).No! They are providing a ‘logistical service’ and providing ‘business solutions’.
    The lads are still the same kind of guys. Hate the management and would rip you off as soon as you turn your back.But oh for the days of playing dangerous practical jokes on landlords and a bevvy in every pub.Two at Christmas! And of course getting handsomely rewarded for it.
    Peter Kay didn’t include draymen in ‘Phoenix Nights’.He missed a gold mine of material.

Leave a Reply