BootsnAll Travel Network



TFIF

It’s Friday and the start of the weekend, so I thought I’d take it easy. Spent the morning writing and reading before out to try the oysters previously mentioned (although, like wool, bacon and sodomy, they are banned in the Old Testament). You were right Mike – they were divine. Did you have any to accompany your champagne at Aintree today? What made them better was the fact that the fisherman were bringing the pots in as I ate. Three quid for a dozen and a beer. Why am I leaving?

For leaving, I am. It is ridiculously lovely here, but I’ve got itchy feet and fancy a trip up the coast and the chance to argue properly with the idiots at British Airways in Sao Paulo before being crammed into a space that would be deemed illegal for a veal calf. Also, I fancy a bit of time in a city before leaving.

Reading material has again been provided by Graham Greene, Brighton Rock and Travels With My Aunt.  Bookends of his career in some senses, with the latter being autobiographical, perhaps more so than his autobiography.  A great author to read while in South America as he travelled extensively here.  Little quote worth having for the purpose of this diary, entirely out of context, but still,

“He travelled…all through his life.  New landscapes, new customs.  The accumulation of memories.  A long life is not a question of years.  A man without memories might reach the age of a hundred and feel that his life had been a brief one.”

So, it’s off to find some more.

[I did also read Gridlock.  What an embarrasment.  This must have been the time when Ben Elton started to go wrong.  Or maybe he was never funny.  Suspect we’ll never say the same of Peter Kaye (although we will about Ricky Gervais).]

Happy birthday to Alexander, by the way. Can it really be four years since the St Charlotte’s dash? I fear it is.

Song of the day – Oh! You Pretty Things, Seu Jorge.



Tags:

13 Responses to “TFIF”

  1. Sister Angela Says:

    We’re already saying it about Ricky and no, we will never say it about Peter.
    Good to talk to you earlier, Martin, even if you did sound like an alien. Beggar all from Inca Trail and that bloody Nina Carbery.
    Yes, four years since the “Queen” Charlotte’s dash. He is now welded into a Peter Pan outfit and I’m not sure how he will be removed.
    Nobody on for that pint tonight then? Rob, Marlena, Deb, you out there?
    John, we’d like to book a table for the United game tomorrow. Are we too late to reserve?

  2. Mummy Angela Says:

    For Alexander, Hippo Birdies, two yews.

  3. How many more wins Mike Says:

    I didn’t have any oysters but did end up eating raw chillies at 7pm in an Indian Restaurant, it was that kind of day/night.
    The shrine strikes again, and once more I must re-iterate that any new life forms born must be called Derek. The lad is a living legend, 6 in 3. Bring on the Welsh on Wednesday night.
    Anyone else have Numbersixvalverde at 25s?

  4. Posted from United States United States
  5. Mummy Angela Says:

    Yes, Danny, but he didn’t get it on. It’s Clare’s fault.

  6. JK Says:

    Angela.No need to book, but don’t bring any poo chuckers with you.We won’t be showing the Liverpool game-purely in the interests of good taste!
    Actually, it clashes with the Hoops visit to Kilmarnock!

  7. O Editor Says:

    Well ´watching´the United game in an internet cafe on BBC Live Text, the modern version of ceefax. Rooney´s hit the post is all I can really get excited about at half time. The shrine seems to be working for Crewe and Celtic as well. Ruud second-half hat-trick, anyone?

  8. admin Says:

    Go on Wayne. 1-0. … Later And it`s 2. Time to go and get a bus. A late surge by the French would thus be very upsetting…

  9. Sister Angela Says:

    No French surge, brother of mine. 7 points in it. No pressure on us. Anything could happen… Good day all round, really.
    Long live the shrine.
    Hope mass was good, John.

  10. JK Says:

    The Holy Sacrifice of the Mass was excellent Sister Angela (note the capital ‘M’). Got back and tried to kill my cold with a few Guinness. Not worked yet,but I’ll keep trying!
    Great sporting weekend including the National. It is very good of the English to send all this prize money back to Ireland with such amazing genorosity. Truly wonderful people.
    Now we must all turn our attention to Wednesday night and our little local border difficulty. The greatest test for the shrine yet.
    Bob Delgado,Bob Delgado,Bob Delgado…………….

  11. Rob MB Says:

    hey angela, you should of told us you were up!!!! come on united! jose’s sweating…. tee hee. come on the shrine, i think it’s gonna do it for all of us, just look at the results since it made it’s appearance
    celtic – champions of scotland
    chester – 3 wins on the bounce
    united – 9 wins in a row
    you’ll regret not bringing that back with you…

  12. Wayne Rooney Says:

    Just come out of a meeting with Mr Ferguson. He was not happy about reports about my gambling but he agrees that Michael Owen is a tosser. Although he was very purple I think he was ok about it all and we agreed I had learned a valuable lesson. Don’t take any tips from Mike!

  13. How many more wins Mike Says:

    Cheap, cheap, cheap shot…. I’ll have you know that my client values my tips as long as I keep giving everyone else the losing ones.
    PS Can we start a campaign to Bring Home the Shrine? It’s nearly BHS, and we all know that’s where Martin buys his slacks.

  14. Posted from United States United States
  15. Aunty Mary Says:

    You do see life Martin. I take it you mapped your journey out before you left the UK!!! These odd characters seem drawn to you like flies. You will be able to swim back home .I’m sure you will have grown fins by now after all the sea creatures you have eaten..

  16. admin Says:

    No Aunty Mary – I knew I was going to Colombia and leaving from Sao Paulo. Everything else in between has been fate, accident or incompetence.

    See you soon.

  17. Posted from Brazil Brazil

Leave a Reply