BootsnAll Travel Network



How Much Fun Can Chilean Law Enforcement Be?

The office I had to go to is in the ´burbs a couple of blocks from a stop on the very efficient Santiago Metro. The area is one of general law enforcement all crammed into one space just off a motorway. It became clear that the place I was looking for was near a huge building site. Could it be this place next door (i.e. about 50km in searing heat)? No, this would be the prison, with all the attendant lovely people outside waiting to deliver cakes with files in. No you can`t have a cigarette/money/new life, I`m looking for this sodding office. Oh it`s the other side of the motorway is it?

Over motorway – weather getting hotter. Surly garage man. No it`s the other side of the motorway. Back over we go `Hey Amigo can you give me all your possessions, I`m broke.`No.`

Surely it can`t actually be the building site? Oh yes it can. Just walk around it for twenty minutes, you`ll soon find where you need to be.

Hello, can I have the police report that was 10cm from my hand yesterday, please. A scene from seminal 70s sit-com, Mind Your Language ensued. Appropriate given the attitude of the building-site workmen to mujeres passing by. This included me being given a `wait-you-turn´ticket which I didn`t need because a very nice English-speaking woman had come to my rescue. However, in this office the possession of a ticket means service so we went through series 2 episode 4 of MYL just for old times sake.

When my friend returned it was to tell me, surprise surprise, that the report would not be there until tomorrow at the earliest – 3pm if I`m lucky. And here´s your crime number, written on a piece of paper so flimsy it might as well be my name on a grain of rice (hey, a good business idea). I´m copying it here in case a bee mistakes it for a grain of pollen and nicks it (0600062016-3).

OK, I`ll come back tomorrow. Yes, your lawyer will be able to see you then. Lawyer? Why do I need a lawyer. It´s the way we do things in Chile. Fine.

See my old prison-visiting friends on the way out. `Hey Amigo, can you please buy me a car for my ill baby?´or something. Who knows what will happen tomorrow. Me and my brief will no doubt hold a conference and then enact a scene from To Kill a Mockingbird in the neighbouring courthouse. That prison is uncomfortably close by the way.

Poor woman in the hotel tried to change my hotel room, from the one with the nice balcony to the one with a view of a lift shaft. Wrong day to ask, my dear.

Tried to track down a JVC Mininote in Santiago`s specialist importer of that firm`s gear. “No existe in Chile.” So that bloke has probably got the only sodding one in the country. Hope it breaks today. Haven`t bothered looking for Benq cameras or Vuarnet sunglasses as they definitely won`t be here, will go looking for replacements now.

Attempting to find the United game on a pub. Slim chance, but who knows…

Thanks for messages etc. I note there are no cash offers. Still, I´ll stuggle on.

Lots of love,

Mr Gringo Victim, January 2006

Note just in (thanks Vic) – “Their policy does not cover glasses or sunglasses.” That`ll be Atlas Insurance, everybody. A firm that specialises in long trip holiday insurance does not cover sunglasses. No surprise really, why would anyone take sunglasses on holiday? If anyone wants to ring them, say for half am hour, with the most complicated journey imaginable and then ask at the end, “And are my sunglasses covered?”, feel free to do so.

PS – turns out that the odd pic can be uploaded…



Tags: , ,

No Responses to “How Much Fun Can Chilean Law Enforcement Be?”

  1. rob and lena Says:

    Letter arrived here for you,

    Dear Sir

    i think you were being completely unrealistic to expect a holiday insurance company to cover the things you take on holiday.
    i mean come on! if they did that, people would claim all the time, and then your premium would go up!

    they are really just doing it for your convenience, and that of their board of directors. whats a pair of sunglasses to you, when mr carl johnson, CEO of Atlas Insurance, has fat, porcine looking children to put through private education!

    would Mr John Martin Parry,
    who’s looked after children from all walks of life, been an upstanding role model for a many,
    deny young harry his huge overbite and future bizarre sexual practices?
    or little porcia, would you deny her a pony and £1000 strappy Top ?
    if however, you would like to claim for loss of a cushion cover, or ornamental nodding dog, they would provide a speedy and reliable replacement within months. which is pretty much all you could ask of them i think, they need to make some money you know!
    i hope i have put you straight on a few things sir,
    best wishes for the future, and don’t claim again!
    yours sincerely,
    Mr Steven Brassingham-Smythe
    Deputy CEO, Atlas Insurance

  2. Elaine Says:

    Hi Mart,

    Of course you are being read by the Team, Kim, Nathalie, Pat, me (spot the admin connection) + of course Sukhjinder (and Vicky is printing). The SW’s are far to busy tring to keep Richard happy. Tea and choccie digestives usually does the trick. I have sent Len your link and when he has a spare couple of hours he is going to catch up on your goings-on. As far as I know you still have a job…..you better had! I was going to write nearer the time to find out exactly when you are back, so that we can put up the bunting & balloons. Let me know where the £400K is and I will send it on to replace your sunglasses.

    LOL

    Elaine

  3. JK Says:

    The Dublin
    Av. Vitacura 9191, Santiago
    (562) 2430941
    Cross St: Everybody knows the Dublin!

    Flannery’s Irish Geo Pub
    Encomenderos #83, Vitacura, Santiago
    56-2-2336675
    geopub@netline.cl
    Cross St: Next to Metro station Tobalaba

    Couple of places that might be showing the Wolves-United game on Sunday.

Leave a Reply