BootsnAll Travel Network



Did I do something wrong in a past life?

Or is it just the sins of this one catching me up?

No, as Lou Reed says in Street Hassle, it´s called bad luck. (See if you can find a copy of that one, Rob.)

Well, I´ve now exhausted all avenues of hope for a coastal trip down to Southern Patagonia. Even if they fix the boat by Monday, which they expect to, it can`t leave until the marine authorities have checked it later in the week. It`s the only one to be blocked this season. Explaining I`ve come half way around the world specifically to do it, does no good. Am I ready to come home? No not really. But my plans seem to be changing hourly and it is getting tiresome. I`m ignoring the insurance swine for the weekend and had a good night with a mad Chileno last night. And there is a casino here…

I`m in the lovely town of Peurto Varas in a very nice hostal with friendly people and I`ve just watched United overcome the mighty Fulham. But what of the defence. 6 goals in two games? And then WBA beat Blackburn.

Here´s a picture of one of the local volcanoes…

On Chilenos, they have a refreshing view on personal space. The general view seems to be that of “I will place myself anywhere at any time, no matter how it infringes on anyone else`s space or comfort”. They`re not being rude, it`s just how it is. This includes queues as well as public transport. I`m slowly getting used to it and I’ve started pushing in where necessary, but as some German girl pointed out today, I must be British because it`s ‘Excuse me this’ and ‘Pardon me that’. Which got a hearty murmur of approval in the hostel.

The other thing about this area is that it is very German (so Tim would like it). They colonised the place first apparently and as an example of their influence today is Kuchen Day – German pies are piled up in the main square. I was hoping they were going to start flinging them à la that place in Spain with the tomatoes. But being German they lined up to buy tickets to sample the things. Not much anarchy around here, I’m afraid. I even spoke to a local who loves British music. When I asked what kind he replied Genesis and Yes. No hope for the youth in this world.

On colonisation, by the way, this area was held by the local Mapuche indians for centuries before a period of time in the 1880s known in the local guides as the ‘Pacification’. What? I’m sure the Poles would have reacted much better had they known they were being ‘pacified’ at the start of WWII.

So that’s where I’m up to. The sun shone through for a brief hour to interrupt the drizzle earlier, so all’s well with the world. I think I’ve no choice but to head for Argentina soon and once I’ve sampled the freezing delights of Patagonia I plan to head back north to the sunshine and, eventually, the bright lights of Buenos Aires and a Boca Juniors game or two.

As it’s the weekend I don’t expect too many comments, but thanks Aunty Mary and Cousin Mick and all other contributors. It really helps if things aren’t going too well to discover other people’s thoughts at the end of a wire. By the way, I see what you mean about Chester. 5-0 at Carlisle. A copper once threatened to throw me out at that ground (at a Chester game) for swearing. Maybe that was the sin. I can’t think of anything worse I’ve ever done…

Am in the most expensive internet cafe in the world, so away I go. Love to all.



Tags:

One Response to “Did I do something wrong in a past life?”

  1. Gillian Says:

    Nice to know your manners are holding up under the strain. Hope you get your trip to Patagonia.

  2. Posted from United States United States
  3. JK Says:

    Hi John.
    You may have heard the amusing news from Scotland that The Huns crashed out of the Cup courtesy of our cousins in Edinburgh – Hiiiiibbbeeeees! 3-0. The crowd we had in for the Ireland / Italy 6 Nations game deserted the rugby telly, to stand smirking and grinning at the footie telly for the last 10 minutes of the game, as Castle Greyskull emptied. Relate, Samaritans and A&E are on for a busy time this weekend in Glasgow. (Politically incorrect you may think, but I can back this up)
    Good luck in getting sorted for the Patagonian leg of your epic journey!
    Best wished from the Bhoys and Ghirls of Werburgh’s.
    PS. Hope Chelsea stuff the Snotgobblers.

  4. Cousin Mick Says:

    Thats a bit cheerier mate, even better is the famous Spurs grabbing 3 points today even though they only played for 45 minutes.
    As i write Chelski are one up, here’s to many more.
    Very poor volcano not even hot enough to melt the snow.

  5. kim & Mark Says:

    Hi John

    You think your down, our local football team lost in the Superbowl final, well ok, Seattle is 5 hours drive but its as local as it gets around here. Not quite sure why they call it football either?? more like commercial ball!

    Looking forward to the World Cup! Hang on, I’ll just ask Simon if Canada are in it this year. Up THE BEAVERS!!

    The conservatives have a minority government having just won the election, the result came out about 2 hours after the poles closed. How the polar bears got their results in so quick amazes me, the deciding vote was the Nunavut colony of North Baffin with an average age of 22 (no kidding). Iqaluit is one capital you have not been to.

    Keep your chipper up and stick with the adventure.

  6. Posted from Canada Canada
  7. Angela Says:

    That’s not a volcano, Mike. He stopped off in Bangor for tea and cheered himself up with an “Ice Magic” pudding. Mmmm, looks tasty.

  8. Angelina Says:

    By the way. Anyone got the Guardian code?

  9. Angelina Says:

    B3N1T3Z

    I have to be fair. I got it from a drunk man in Stockton Heath and now I am passing it to you.

  10. Aunty Mary Says:

    Some good news ! Barry Hipkiss has a part ownership in a race horse called Westhill and it won today ! Michael put a fiver each way on it for me and it won at 9 to 2 . Don’t tell your Mother!! Are you going to change the title of your book? Perhaps Canada to Somewhere over the Rainbow ? Enjoy yourself in Argentina

Leave a Reply