BootsnAll Travel Network



A Soft Day on St Pat’s – It’s Right Posh Here

Well, here we are on St Patrick’s Day in the poshest hotel in Tigre, and in keeping with the Irish theme, it’s pouring down. As it has been for two solid days. Still, as they say in Cork – ‘Tis a soft day, thank god’.

When I say posh, I mean seriously posh. It’s a 1930s colonial style villa with an artist in residence. Every time we leave our room someone goes in and tidies up or pops a little cake or two in there. On the first night we had liqueurs named ‘He’ and ‘She’ by each of our beds. Last night we had a fabulous meal here, easily the most expensive I’ve had on the whole journey, although the ale was, as usual, dirt-cheap. Nothing is too much trouble and it’s a fine place to recharge my batteries after 5 months off. (With only 4 weeks left to go, I’m getting seriously concerned about the forces of Real Life currently ranged on the horizon ready to charge down the hill and overwhelm me in a flurry of spreadsheets and crap weather.)

Still, Vicky’s reading her book and getting some proper relaxation in and we have better weather, tango, Uruguay and (fingers crossed) the Boca/River game to look forward to… The planned trip to Salta has, along with The Train to the Clouds, been sidelined for the time-being.

Hope you all have a great day celebrating the fact that there are no snakes (but plenty of stout) in Ireland. Here’s to Jimmy Johnstone…

Altogether now “By a lonely prison wall, I heard a young girl calling…”



Tags:

13 Responses to “A Soft Day on St Pat’s – It’s Right Posh Here”

  1. JK Says:

    Happy St Pat’s to all LJP bloggers.

    Hail Hail!

  2. JK Says:

    March 18th morning is usually the only time I wish I was born anything other than Irish. But it soon wears off!
    Apologies to the LJP bloggers who made it to Werburgh’s on St Pat’s Night. Really wanted to sit and have a pint with you but we were a shade on the busy side. Do we all meet up on the 22nd?

  3. Aunty Mary Says:

    Don’t be moaning about coming back to the mother country in a few weeks time!! What do you want ? Permanent holidays ? Your country needs you and I’m jealous!1

  4. JK Says:

    Yes. Quite right. The mother country needs a rugby team as well.
    We are entering St Patrick’s Day +2 and all is postively dream like so far.
    C’mon the Hoops !!

  5. Sister Angela Says:

    Don’t usually watch the rugby. Watched this one though. Very funny. I knew that foot was in and wouldn’t have needed a replay.
    The bloggers reunion can only begin, by the way, AFTER my christened nephew (Chesney) has left the building (when we’ve been muscled into the bar by the bingo bullies)…. We will assume, JK, that you are having the 22nd off.

    Will the Halls be in attendance?

  6. JK Says:

    Of course. The wean takes priority. After that, hit the bar. What’s all this talk about bingo? You won’t be allowed to play if the jackpot is anyway decent.

  7. admin Says:

    I believe the two/three/four celebrations will run seamlessly into one another myself.

    Aunty Mary, you know I was born to have permanent holidays. My country does not need a whinging wastrel – which is what I may become…

  8. Posted from Argentina Argentina
  9. Gillian Says:

    St Pats day over here is still an amazement to me. Don’t know why it’s compulsory to eat “corned beef” and boiled cabbage and run around with a fake leprechaun on your head (or at least one one’s lapel). Sounds like a fab hotel you’ve found, if pricey – emptying your pockets of all loose change before coming home?

  10. Posted from United States United States
  11. JK Says:

    The liver is evil.It must be punished!
    ….as the old saying goes. A great sporting weekend which I hope was celebrated with gusto in Argentina. It certainly was in Brook Street. Hail! Hail!

  12. Rob MB Says:

    had a great night at brook street on st pats! well done to ireland in the rugby, made the sad welsh campaign a little easier to take! just got back from manchester, where we did the tour round the theatre of dreams, i gave fergie a couple of tips, such as sell silvestre, get rid of that carlos bloke….

  13. admin Says:

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/28108075@N00/114980810/

    Is where you’ll find a picture of Rob and Lena and friends in the club on St Pat’s. Er, they look happy…

  14. Posted from Argentina Argentina
  15. Fez Says:

    I had a good St Pat’s night at a Russian pub in the East End that was having a bhangra night – decided not to bother asking if they had anything by The Pogues!

    The coldest winter in 20 years has ended here, to be replaced by a spring that’s indistinguishable from the winter – I wouldn’t hurry back!!

  16. admin Says:

    Cheers Fez, might as well stay another 3 months then.

  17. Posted from Argentina Argentina

Leave a Reply