BootsnAll Travel Network



A Close Shave

Monday

SA transport triumphs as usual with a three hour ‘re-scheduling’ from BA to Iguazu. This means the planned preparation for doing the full moon trip was delayed. The danger that this might not happen was too scary to contemplate, given that Vicky’s timing and my 5 months of planning had led to Full Moon at the Falls. However, arrival indicated that we could go, but that we should book transport to the park through the hotel, which we did at very great expense. Naturally, we had no cash now and Vic no shoes for tonight’s walk, so we had to rush in and out of town to stock up on essential goods, before rushing around like nutters to be ready for our transport. No swanning around in the pool for us. Good job we’d booked dinner at the Falls rather than trying to fit that in somewhere else.


Transport arrives and turns out to be, in effect, a chauffeur. No wonder he was so bloody dear. Next little surprise was that a public bus could have got us there and back from outside our hotel £1.20 each. Still, we’re there with ‘Parker’ waiting outside and Lady Penelope with her new John Foos bumpers on itching to get out to The Devil’s Throat by the light of the silvery moon. Only problem was the moon failed to show (had another gig at the Mighty Boosh Tour or something). Cue slight concern, but, aware that we could get another crack at it tomorrow, decide to have dinner in the park. All a bit boring the next bit, but as an indication of the quality of the meal we had boiled vegetables for starters. At least the pudding (Don Pedro) contained whisky. Parker took us back into town and we realised the joy that having a chauffeur could be, but had to get an earlyish night as we had a day tour to the falls in the morning…

Tuesday

Up early, rushed breakfast and back to Iguazu to see what we saw last time we were here, only on this occasion with a rubbish guide and about a million more tourists. Quickly realised this was not to be a particularly mind-blowing experience, so cut our losses, gave our ID tags in and hopped on the efficient public bus back to the hotel where we could at last laze around to our hearts’ content, at least until it came to hunting out food at a ridiculously early hour ahead of our bus ride back to the falls.

The meticulously punctual bus service was, of course, late by 10 minutes. However, this was still not a problem as we had factored in 40 minutes for a 20 minute trip. Still, I was just on the verge of getting a cab (oh for the services of a chauffeur) when the bus rounded the corner. Hurray! We’re on our way to the falls and the moon had deigned to grace us with its presence (Vince must have given it the night off…).

Clearly, the idea that we might just go straight there was too simple for us and the bus blew a gasket outside of the army base on the way to the falls. Yet another one of those unforgettable South American ‘waiting’ moments ensued – this time on a lonely highway in the brightly lit presence of an armoured vehicle on a plinth while Vicky sat inside the broken vehicle as we awaited the replacement bus, knowing full well that we had missed our tour slot and wondering if we could get on one of the later ones. (Vicky didn’t know that, despite my breezy confidence, the bus driver and guide had expressed a certain doubt that this would be possible. Anyway, we always had the woman sobbing weapon in our armoury should the Spanglish persuasion fail.)

Arrival at the falls, for the third time in 24 hours, each time in a different mode of transport, led to immediate concern with no prospect of solace. We were booked on the first of three trips and the other two were sold out, so we couldn’t go tonight. Spanglish time with great emphasis put on the fact that we had come to Argentina specifically for this night. Nail-biting minutes followed with Vic on the verge of… what? I wouldn’t care to speculate, but it would not have been pretty. In the end they came through and sneaked us onto the trip, which was everything you might expect from a late night ramble through the jungle on a moonlit night to see one of the natural wonders of the world with 120 other people.

Just time for me to reflect on the fact that 4 weeks ago I was staring at a load of frozen water and being amazed and tonight I was staring at a load of moving water and being amazed.

Footnote: Adriano, our guide on the last moonlit tour, lost his girlfriend that night. Here’s hoping tonight’s many guides did not suffer the same fate.

Certain amount of debate with Vic on tonight’s song, but I’m sticking with There’s a Moon in the Sky Called the Moon by the B52s.



Tags:

6 Responses to “A Close Shave”

  1. Rob MB Says:

    Glad Vicky has some shoes, i was worried cos she has so very few, and her feet would get cold….

  2. How many more defeats Mike Says:

    That’s a lot of hassle for Swallow Falls…
    Cheltenham has been kind(ish) to me this week and a couple of nice ones for tomorrow are Travino in the 235 and Andreas in the 440.
    Did you know there are some good Argentinian thoroughbreds being exported to these shores? Maybe you could buy one as a belated Christening present for Jonjo.

  3. Posted from United States United States
  4. admin Says:

    Right, that’s a fiver on each nag, although they’re hardly unfancied. I don’t think you should be feeding Jonjo dog food, Mike. Does Ali know?

    Very good point Rob.

  5. Posted from Argentina Argentina
  6. How many more defeats Mike Says:

    Other fancies today, I’m working at home you see, are….Kasbah Bliss in the 200, Forget the Past in the Gold Cup (big plunge on this overnight) and Studmaster in the get out stakes at 520. Tight lines everyone.

  7. Posted from United States United States
  8. admin Says:

    Another full house there for Mike. Considering I’ve been looking all afternoon at virtually a whole museum dedicated to Mayo’s most famous son, why wasn’t Whyso Mayo (ridden by Mr D Murphy, for god’s sake) flagged up by somebody. At 20/1!

  9. Posted from Argentina Argentina
  10. How many more defeats Mike Says:

    Sorry about the duff stuff chaps. I’m sure you’ll be delighted to know I did have a 25/1 winner and a 25/1 second to ensure my first profitable Cheltenham.
    I’m off to Twickenham tomorrow with young Pip-Pip, it’s a tough life but we’ll endure the graft.
    Re the Mayo horse, for crying out loud nearly every horse running has some connection or other, it’s bloody Cheltenham! Tom Treacy rode Studmaster, perhap’s he should stick to being a Gardai.

  11. Posted from United States United States
  12. Sister Angela Says:

    I stopped backing after the two nags you gave me on the first day, Mike. What’ll I do with the 15 quid I now have sitting on Betfair? I still don’t know how to use the bloody thing.

    I cannot believe that my two cousins are down the road from me, probably in my local and this is the first I’ve heard of it. A disgrace. Heads will roll.

Leave a Reply