BootsnAll Travel Network



Return to Yellowstone NP: the Geyser Basin

August 15th-16th

Following Grand Teton, we reserved another night in Yellowstone National Park (we needed to return in this direction to make our way towards South Dakota) to spend some more time admiring the geysers and the wildlife. So after packing up camp and doing a short hike near Jackson Lake (where we saw a lot of water fowl), we drove back to the Geyser Basin. We were rewarded with an impressive eruption of Daisy Geyser and then saw another eruption of Old Faithful which seemed to last much longer than the first time we saw it. We also visited the Big Thumb Geyser Basin, a hydrothermally active area of Yellowstone Lake. After camping in Grant Village (where we had spent a night 5 days earlier), we drove out of the eastern entrance of the park. We stopped to check out a historic bridge and witnessed a more interesting spectacle- a bison charged out of the mountains, stopping traffic, and walked across the bridge. The most impressive part was that he chose the good lane. A few minutes later we saw some giant heron and deer in a nearby meadow. We followed the long and winding road that Teddy Roosevelt described as one of the most spectacular in America (I’m not sure he took all of the roads that we did- but this one was pretty impressive) out of Yellowstone NP towards our next stop in Cody.

Posted from Lake of the Ozarks SP, Missouri



Tags: , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *