BootsnAll Travel Network



Enter Malaysia

First time in an Islamic country. Interesting. During the day you hear the call to prayer over loudspeakers. Last night I heard some strange noises, like people wailing into the night…

The atmostphere is very different here than to Thailand. You can feel it in the air in some places. Luckily we are grouped up with some really nice local people and they are taking great care of us.

I just left a town called Malacca. Its really cool there, alot of old history.. This was one of the port towns that the Chinese used to use in the tea trading days.. Also used to be ruled by Colonial powers, first the Portugese, then the Dutch, then the English , until about the 50’s.
The people are taking really good care of us. They take us out for the local cuisine every day! Its really good food, they have Indian, Malay, and Chinese, as well as some local specialties..
Today, we ate at an Indian restuaruant. All the locals eat with their hands! They put all the food on a big banana leaf and before and after you eat you just wash your hands, the sinks right near the table. So you just dig in . ahahah . its fun!
The people are REALLY nice and I got taken around the town 2 or 3 times, during the day and at night. I think they dont see many american backpackers coming through here where all the locals are..
Currently I’m staying in a man’s house a bit further south. Getting a real feel for the culture.
One cool thing was I met a 19 yr. old guy named Kim who was so into American music. He knew all the Warped tour bands and had all the Cd’s. He kept naming bands that he loved and I usually responded with.. ‘Seen ’em.’ After about 15 or 20 bands he got overwhelmed because I had seen so many of his favorites, while his dream was to come to America to see one of these concerts, such as Warped Tour.
Kim took me around the town to some cool spots, a bar/lounge he played at on the weekends that had a live band on. He was a drummer. We also visited the jamming studio where the practice, which was awsome.
About 2 more weeks in mainland Malaysia, then off to the Borneo side to climb Mt. Kinabalu (4100m).
Cheers.
and
GOD BLESS AMERICA.
Tags: , , ,



Leave a Reply