BootsnAll Travel Network



LA ->San Salvador -> Lima

HOLA!!
I{m going to try to check the spelling before i send this one out, but it may be to no avail as I don{t understand exactly how to use this keyboard.
I{ll try to get all the happenings of the last couple of days in.
So, later that day in LA, after I updated, I decided to go and see a movie to pass the time. The two options were basically Pirates of the Carribean 3 or Ocean{s 13, I decided on Ocean{s 13 at Grauman{s chinese theatre (were they have the hand and feet imprints of movie stars, I took a picture of Brad Pitt{s for Siobhan). The movie was good, and it passed the time.
I also went into the Virgin Megastore nextdoor to do more passing of time. There was a whole lot of cool music and books. I almost bought a CD or two (Rodreigo and Gabriela and the Willowz) before I snapped out of it and remembered that I was travelling for 8 months with no CD player and I was returning to LA at the end. I also found out (and was greatly saddened by the fact that) Enrique Iglasis was doing an instore performance and signing the next day, when I was in transit. But I was strong and pulled myself away.
Both flights were fine, everything was in English and Spanish which was good as I don{t think I could have coped with total spanish immedietly.
El Salvador airport was nice, evrything around it was green and flat. They played a lot of 80s music, including Wake me up before you go go and Grease lightning.
I also managed to have a short conversation with 2 kids that went very well and made me happy that at least I didn{t speak NO spanish.
So now I{m in Lima. The hostel is nice, I have a room to myself and I{ve already met 3 american girls. Today I took a walk in Miraflores and called home (at 2 am or something ridiculous like that, I have yet to work out the time difference, i{ll do that after this). Then I walked to the beach. A guy came up and we spoke for a while in a spanish with english thrown in. then he tried to sell me a necklace, but i said no. We then continued to talk and ended up on the subject of Hugo Chavez. The man, who{s name is also Hugo, likes Chavez and said he ruled ¨for the people¨, not for the rich. When i said I was Australian he told me all Australians smoke Grass and offered to sell me some, I said no (remembering that the number one bit of advice from my friends was – don{t do drugs) then i mentioned Coca leaves, but



Tags: , ,

6 responses to “LA ->San Salvador -> Lima”

  1. Wendy Bacon says:

    Dear Em,
    I feel quite good when people ask me – How is Em? – and I say Em is in Lima! The Spanish speaking seems to be going well. I did not even know you had learned the name for drugs? What followed after you asked about the coca leaves?
    Is the massive supermarket bigger than Marrickville Metro or Broadway?
    Look foward to hearing more – It was great to get you call of course,
    love
    Mum

  2. admin says:

    The spanish speaking is going ok, but this may have something to do with the fact that almost all my conversations are about a small amount of topics, namely; why i am in peru, where i am from and how long i will be here. he peruvian are very friendly and it is easy to talk to people and practice my spanish.
    I had not learned the name for any drugs (I am also painfully uninformed in the catagory of slang and swear words), but Marijuana translates pretty easily, and the fact tht i didn´t know how to say cocain meant that i was accidently talking abut it. woops…

  3. Pip says: says:

    Hi Em
    Your blogs have been great to read so keep up the good work. You certainly seem to be getting around no problems andmeetin up with others from the hostel to socialise with. How’s the weather over there? We are back to rain over her for the next few days but at least some has fallen in the catchment. Deb and i both send our love
    Pip

  4. Siobhan says:

    i am supposed to be doing a history exam right now but i’m reading these instead. in regards to brad pitt hand photo, iloveyouloveyouloveyoushow me. can you post photos?
    there’s no exciting australia news considering i’m in stuvac and hiding from the world..erm..you were around for all the nasty weather (drought my ass, it continues) erm erm…OH my cute little ecuadorian uncle, he of the big hair and littel legs, got a bit part in a movie! i don’t know which one and it’s filming on the gold coast so this isn’t relevant to you in anyway except that you may meet some more people who look like him one day. when you do, enjoy it.

  5. admin says:

    Pip: I`m glad you are both enjoying the blog and getting rain. Yeah, meeting people doesn`t seem to be to much of a problem, but it`s so easy to just hang with other english speakers, but i can notoce my spanish improving a little when talking to peruvians. I guess i`ll just have to make sure to get a balence.

    Siobhan: I will try to post the photo this afternoon. Good luck with History, i will try to insert dodgy historical facts into my entries so that you will almost be studying.
    That is very exciting for your little uncle, tu tio pequeno (almost certainly wrong) i look forward to seeing him in a movie.

  6. soner says:

    emma im glad youre having such an adventure and am not at all surprised that you have already been offered drugs.nryou have no idea how relieved i am to hear that you did NOT meet enrique inglasias or else i would have embarked on a jealous rampage

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *