BootsnAll Travel Network



Escape from LA

You know that movie where the guy haxs to escape from LA when it’s flooded and everyone is an Outlaw, then at the end they say “there was no virus”. Maybe somebody will know what I’m talking about, but anyway, my situation in LA is knida like that, I feel like if I stay here for two long the pollution will get into my body and I’ll die (not really).

So i’m in Hollywood, and i’m going to have to say it is surreal at best and the trashiest place I have ever been at worse. There’s all these people wandering around in movie character costumes and things like police and the accent make it seem a bit like I’ve jumped into the movies, but on the other hand, everything is less glossy, more smoggy and sort of half falling apart. It looks like everything was built at least 10 years ago and is now out of fashion, dirty and tarnished by pollution. Even the palm trees (and they’re everywhere) don’t look healthy.
The place I stayed at last night isn’t bad, the guy at the reception when I came in was dressed in a paisley shirt and has a massive 60s moustache. He looks like he’s trying to BE Ringo Starr. The streed it’s on is Hollywood Boulevard, the one with all the stars on the ground. Across the road is Kodak theatre where they do the Oscars. You can buy little statuettes everywhere. The shop next door to the Hostel is called the ‘Fame Market’, but actually it’s just a convenience store with not much in it.

The flight from Auckland to LA was super turbulant. At one point, without warning, we just jolted down and to the side and things flew up into the air. The guy next to me was very nervous.

Today I ventured to another part of LA to Santa Monica. I went down to the beach and along the pier. There were people fishing off the end, but all they caught was small fish, so they threw them back. It turned into a nice day and the sky went from smoggy and grey to a bit bluer. WHile I was on the pier, they were filming scenes from the TV show ‘Monk’, so I may or may not be in the background of that show. Also, as I was walking past one of those games where you hit something with a mallet to try to make it go bing, I think it said to me:” I get no respect being a machine”.
It was a bit of an ordeal getting back to Holywood, I had to catch 3 busses, one of which I just got on not knowing where it was going.

Well, I’ll post from Lima in the next couple of days.
got to go now,
Emm



Tags: ,

7 responses to “Escape from LA”

  1. Chris says:

    I agree with you Em. LA always has struck me as the pits, even the clean parts. If you want to know how it got that way read Mike Davis: City of Quartz. Missing you lots already – the house is a bit empty without you. Dad

  2. Pip says: says:

    I agree too Em. I have not been to LA for a long time now so can only imagine how much worse the general pollution evel has become. Glad that you have been able to get around without too much hassle – I too have fallen victim to the multiple bus scenario trying to get from one place to another. Santa Monica Pier used to be one of my favourite places over there. Pip

  3. Wendy says:

    Hi Em,
    I guess you are in Lima by now. The trip sounds rather scary. There were late goodbyes on your phone and good wishes from a number of friends but I guess they will be in email contact. The phone will run out of batteries soon and we’ll put it away.
    I guess I am surprised that you can even get public transport from Santa Monica to Hollywood!
    Good luck on the next step of your adventure
    We miss you heaps of course,
    Love
    Mum

  4. The Primroses says:

    Keeping an eye on your progress Emma. With you in spirit. Be brave. We will find you a new lung. Henry

  5. Duz says:

    Hi Em,
    LA’s not that bad…..

    Ok, I lie. Mind you, I haven’t been there since 2003, so maybe the thick murky has turned into the viscerous treacle.

    Regardless, I find it amuzing that the locals -against all reason – think they CAN actually breath that muck.

    Must be hellspawn.

    Anyway – it’s true. The palms are sick because of the smog (and probably being planted in the wrong spot), and that guy may very well actually be Ringo Starr (or at least is so convinced that he is that it makes no difference). That’s LA alright.

    Chau

  6. Siobhan says:

    i TOLD you i TOLD you, the only good bit of LA is disneyland. Ima drag you there, you have no choice, i will spend the next 5 months plotting just how i will do it, it will involve ilegal stuff though just for the fun of it, comma,,,
    (missyouanditsonlybeenaweek*tear)

  7. soner says:

    you can definitely paint a picture (of LA)
    movie stars suck/.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *