BootsnAll Travel Network



Welcome to India: Part II: The Good

 

Enter Mumbai; time warp to a very different space in this word.  The population is still bursting at the seams and the traffic is simply horrific.  Long gone are the astroturf vests. Here is the realm of skin-tight bellbottoms and pastel pink shirts.  The 70’s disco fashion is still in vogue here, but Saris, Sikh turbans, Muslim Kufi hats and face shrouding Burkas are also common sights.   

Everywhere I look is a motley assortment of ultra-modern amenities and the filthiest of all dilapidated slums.  The poverty and contrasting success is quite astonishing.  Well dressed business men walk alongside filthy street rats and everything strangely coexists in a madly intoxicating chaos.  I can already see that the diversity here is more of the true India than the hellish entry point at Gorakhpur.  Simultaneously, the no-holds-barred Wild West mixes with the shining land of opportunity and order.  I’m sure these are only the first of many strange inconsistencies that await me in this vast and diverse country.

After arriving via train, over four hours past schedule, I finally arrive at my friend’s home.  The ensuing night only sets precedence for the following weeks to come; amongst amazing meals cooked by his wonderful wife and playful times with their two young nieces, Ratnadeep and I consistently find ourselves locked in endless hours of great conversation.  It turns out that we have a great deal in common philosophy that will never cease to entertain as we easily pass into the earliest hours of the morning simply talking.  Especially after finishing Jack Kerouak’s ‘On the Road’ a few days prior, it is easy to feel a resemblance to the 50’s beat generation characters he portrayed.

A week passes in a mere second, as great times always do.  Alongside enchanting evenings with his charming family and exceptional friends, Ratnadeep also educates me with a great deal of knowledge about Mumbai, India and even new ways at looking at world.  While most of our time is spent in deep conversation and frequent social events, we occasionally make a few short excursions out of the suburbs and into the city proper.  While it is exciting to plunge into the madness of modern Mumbai, none compare to the exciting evenings of pure communication and friendship with the people I’ve met here.

see all my photos from the Dadar area

The last week has been a true primer about the diversity and magic in this country.  It gives me hope beyond the superficial exterior limited to most tourists.  It shows me that this country’s true identify lies far from the surface, but much deeper; in the warm hearts, sharp minds and incredible integrity of its people.  The wealth and wonder to be found in their souls is far greater than any monument or landscape found on any continent!

see more photos from the Mumbai suburbs in Chembur

.



Tags: , , , , ,

One response to “Welcome to India: Part II: The Good”

  1. rICK says:

    OMG what has happened to you. You have gone from boy to man in less than one year. I look forward to watching your spiritual & emotional evolution.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *