BootsnAll Travel Network



The Snow Hike

I awoke at 7am this morning to the cries of a rooster. It’s still cold and looks like 4” of snow. Hmm… perfect day for a hike… Why not? I layered up my clothing, unpacked my waterproof gloves, made a cup of tea and headed outside. Grey clouds still shroud Mt. Fuji, but there is a small mountain behind the farm that looks climbable.

About fifteen minutes into my hike through the snow covered woods, Montana (Jake’s dog) raced passed me. He peed on the ground, dug up some dirt and looked at me curiously before running further ahead. I followed. At every fork in the path that we came across, Montana would mark his territory on the way we came from. This is one smart dog, and I guess all the attention I gave him last night bought a guided tour through the woods.

I reached the top of a hill on the way up the mountain. Montana marked the path again, looked at me once more, and promptly disappeared back towards the farm. OK, I’m on my own from here. While climbing further and further upwards I became very grateful for the versatile waterproof gear I brought on this trip.

Unfortunately, Mt. Fuji was still covered in a haze by the time I reached the top. The fresh air, good exercise, and the solitude of climbing a snow glazed mountain made up for it.

I foot skied my way back down to the farm and prepared to head back to Tokyo for the next few days. I could stay here, but the weather conditions mean that there is zero work to be done. Rather than waste time in the cold mountains, I’m heading back to the city until I’m needed at the farm.

.



Tags: , , , , , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *