BootsnAll Travel Network



Seven Days Without Food

In preparation for my extended period of travel, I’ve been doing everything to condition my body to the rigors and maladies of travel. For years I’ve maintained a steady regiment of regular exercise, and ate a relatively healthy, nutritional diet. However, I’ve recently been turned on to the alternative medical practice of fasting.

Let me keep this simple. Digesting food uses about 33% of your body’s energy. When you stop eating for an extended period of time, the body uses this extra energy to purge toxins from your system, burn fat, and rebuild damaged organs. In cases of extreme illness, long-term fasts have even been proven to dissolve tumors and arthritic deposits! Essentially, not eating is one of the healthiest things you can do for your body by giving it the time and resources to cleanse itself and improve your general well being.

Due to social and work constraints I could not complete the ten to fourteen days recommended for first time. I chose seven days to give it a shot, and was amazed by the benefits I’ve encountered in such a short period of time. This past week has really been an enlightening experience to the whole process of fasting.

I was incredibly surprised by the power of will that I was able to pull off to get this far. The hunger passed after the first few days, and my body entered into acidosis (this is where your body begins to expel the contaminants stored in your body, and can sometimes mirror symptoms of an extreme flu). If it wasn’t hard enough to fend off the cravings for food, the extreme sickness and constant expulsion of these toxins was a nightmare to endure.

Now that I have passed through all of these obstacles I feel fantastic. I’ve probably lost 15 pounds. My skin and sinuses have never been so clear. My brain is functioning astonishingly, and I can focus with the utmost clarity. Memories that I’ve long forgotten have flooded my mind and I’ve been able to make very rational decisions regarding a lot of issues that have been plaguing me recently.

This short fast was intended to help put my body into prime shape before traveling, although I must say it has exceeded my expectations. It has given me desire to pursue lengthier fasts in the future. I highly recommend it to everyone that is looking to improve their quality of life. Just do some research to find out if it is right for you first!

For more information you check out two of the most informative articles I’ve read regarding the subject. They are both a bit lengthy, but are packed with loads of scientific data and inspiration.

Nutritional Program for Fasting

How and When to Be Your Own Doctor

… P.S. To anybody who is considering this, I have some advice. Definitely heed the advice on how to break the fast properly. I followed the instructions of starting with diluted juices, and then to raw foods (i.e. fruits and uncooked vegetables/salads, etc.).

However, I lost a little self control and ate some of my friends french fries dipped in guacamole…. wow, did they taste wonderful! I was feeling great so I thought I’d give it a taste, but now I’m left with the feeling of a brick in my stomach and I’m a pretty worn out. Do yourself a favor and let your digestive system get back up to speed before you give it anything that it’ll have to do some heavy work on!



Tags: , ,

One response to “Seven Days Without Food”

  1. Zafar says:

    Hello Adam!
    Its a pity we have not been introduced but I am a long time friend of Sharon. I wish you luck in your journeys… will you travel to India? Do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions deciding to travel there!
    I have recently migrated to Toronto from Bangalore, India and I understand how you will be feeling in a new place. Its AWESOME!! A new place and new people re-orients ones thinking in ways that is to be truly experienced!
    I hope we will meet someday.
    Warm Regards…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *