BootsnAll Travel Network



Meeting People and Doing Things in Rural Japan

I’ve learned that there is no such thing as a typical day on this farm. The unique work I’m doing changes everyday as we get closer to the festival. It keeps the days fun, but the real magic of this place reveals itself at night. As Jake described it, the Solar Café is a place where people come together. I don’t think he could have said it any better way. In the weeks preparing for the festival I’ve met the most unlikely cast of characters who have provided exceptionally interesting interactions.   

The staff and locals have all been truly accommodating and have provided a great look into the life of people here in the mountains of central Honshu. Jake, the owner, is an expat from NY who has been living in Japan for twelve years. In the last six, he opened the café/guesthouse/farm/eco-school that is slowly but surely gaining a foothold in the valley around Mt. Fuji. Naoko, the café manager/chef has been cooking the most amazing vegetarian food imaginable as well as helping me out with my Japanese. The other Adam who I met on my first day here is staying for about the same duration before heading to Thailand and Laos to do more volunteer work. Kanako, a Japanese volunteer and yogi from Tokyo speaks perfect English with an Aussie accent. I’ve been to a party in house with no walls by Shojiko Lake. I’ve been to dinner with local English teachers in a restaurant hidden a 1m tall door on a large white wall in the woods.

Every night or two the guests in the ryokan would cycle through and pave the paths for a few friendships. Chris, a drummer from England who has been living and traveling in Japan for the last 5 months. Marcel, a Japanese guesthouse owner from nearby Kofu who defies the typical cultural barrier and provokes intriguing philosophical and cultural exchange discussions. G the DJ, Ozan the manager, and 3 of the dancers from a gentleman’s club in Roppongi, Tokyo. Matthew, a multi-instrument musician / recording engineer from Australia who spent hours with me discussing recording technique and professional music. Uutaka, a djembe player from Northern Honshu who helped me create a couple hours of drum circle magic and then learned how to play the American drinking game Asshole. Shauna from Shizouka, and Austin from Kyoto who has recently used one of my songs in a film about contrasting life in Kyoto. Anthony, a high school teacher from Toyko who video-interviewed me in front of Mt. Fuji to use as instructional material for his students.

Amongst the campfire discussions, improvised music sessions, and drinking I’ve been overwhelmed with adventure activities in the surrounding area. Kanako, Adam and I have made explored the Aokigahara forest, hiked to Saiko Lake, and climbed to the top of Koyodai lookout for sunset and through the fog at midnight. I even fixed up an old bike and began a few excursions into the wooded paths before nearly meeting my death when the brakes weren’t strong enough to stop me flying down a bumpy volcanic rock hill and breakneck speed.

Add this all together, mix in the fun attempts at communication in Japanese, and sprinkle in some shrines and you get the most unique enjoyable experience conceivable. It’s hard to remember which day is which anymore. They all seem to blend together in an indistinguishable blur of stimulation which would keep even the shortest attention span occupied behind its wildest imagination. And then it stopped…

The festival arrived and each day took on its own purpose, superceding the anticipation which was rising for weeks. The first day was mostly spent building a stage, and helping the sound crew from Tokyo; Nabe a bass player, Shu and Seino who are guitarists. After a couple bands played, we ended the night by playing a great jam session in front of a roaring campfire. A relatively exciting experience, but still nothing compared to what the next day would bring….

.



Tags: , , , ,

One response to “Meeting People and Doing Things in Rural Japan”

  1. Michelle says:

    You seem to have had a real wonderful time there. What an exciting story it is!
    I wish I’d been there at the right time!

    I like to visit here and keep me updated of your recent story. It was great to get a chance to know you and have a lot of fun talking and talking endlessly.

    Looking forward to seeing you again,

    take care!

  2. Greg says:

    Start preparing yourself around the farm….WuShu in August!!!!! 🙂

    – Greg

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *