BootsnAll Travel Network



Last Night in Kansai

Well that’s it.  Time to start making peace with Japan.  I have less than a week left on my visa.  My ferry to Korea leaves on Monday, and I still need to pay a visit to Megumi in Fukuoka before leaving.   

After one month in Osaka, I felt very much at home there.  It is hard to ignore the magical pull of that place.  I felt very comfortable in Japan when I first arrived in Tokyo, but down here the quality of life is ideal.  The delicious food, excellent music scene, constant flow of activity and the ease of escape to find peace in the surrounding region are definite attractions, but the city’s real charm comes from the caliber of its people!  Everybody I’ve met has only focused on enjoying their days/nights and ensuring the happiness of their friends.  No drama, no disappointment, only good times and contentment within the community.

I spent the last hours saying my goodbyes while drinking, playing music and games with the great friends I’ve made in the last month.  At the end of the night it was extremely difficult to walk down the hallway to a chorus of “Sayonara” and “Come back soon”, but I had to catch an early bus to Kyushu. 

Ahhh… it’s back to the traveling life for a little bit.  Alas, soon I’ll get comfortable for a short time somewhere else.  This type of life is proving to be as difficult as it is rewarding.  It’s not because “a rolling stone gathers no moss”, but rather I’m picking up too many friends and ties to these places that it is hard to tear myself away when the time comes.

.



Tags: , , , , , ,

One response to “Last Night in Kansai”

  1. Amanda says:

    Japan’s greatest resource surely is its people. I learned so much about generosity and selflessness when I was there, as I’m sure you have, too. Those lessons are yours forever to take with you wherever you go. In that sense, a little piece of Nippon is always with you.

    It’s difficult to move on. I totally agree. I wish I could spend at least 2 years everywhere I go!! I just go to Beijing today!!! It’s ridiculously smoggy, but it’s ALIVE!!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *