BootsnAll Travel Network



Kansai Bound!

 

Yesterday was a wake up call.  I think I’ve seen enough shrines, temples and historical artifacts from Japan.  Sightseeing is wearing a bit thin, but every experience with the current culture has been most exciting and has appealed to me most.  Every day that passes, my visa expiration inches closer and I still haven’t been to Kansai to see the famed cultural heart of Japan.  So I decided to say goodbye to Nagoya.  It has been an extremely friendly and welcoming city, but I’ll just have to come back someday when I have more time.   

Before checking out of the city, I took another chance at finding that elusive shirt in Osu.  Thanks to the walk I took with the kids from last night, I knew exactly where to go to find the shopping arcade.  On the way, I took an obligatory stop at the Osu Kannon shrine to snap a few quick photos.  Within a few minutes of walking around I found a black shirt that said ‘Asobi Nin’ in Japanese script.  Basically, that says carouser/playboy… good enough for me!  I also found a pair of sunglasses to replace the ones I lost in Tokyo a few weeks ago.  New haircut = $12; New Shirt = $8, New Shades = $8; Not feeling as stale anymore = only $28!  (bet you thought I was going to say priceless)

On my way out of the arcade, I stopped for a teriyaki chicken wrap and tapioca almond milk… sooo delicious!  A quick rush to Nagoya station to catch my bus just as it was about to pull away and I was off.  So… where to?  Kyoto is the major tourist destination; jam-packed with temples, shrines, and quite a few UNESCO world heritage sites.  They say you can’t spend three months in Japan without at least visiting it, but that will have to wait for later.  Chris, a friend I met at the Solar Café, highly recommended Osaka for the music scene and caliber of people to be found there.  I’m really itching to play more music, so the decision was easy.  Osaka, get ready… here I come!  

click here for all of my photos from Nagoya 

I arrived in the early evening and took a subway to the shadiest section of town, which I later heard described as the Bronx of Japan.  I made my way past the hordes of homeless men and pachinko parlors to find the cheapest accommodation I would settle for (definitely not sleeping in public here).  Chris recommended a hotel where I could get a great weekly rate, but it was booked.  However, across the street I found an even better deal: 10 nights in a private room, shower, laundry, free internet access and video rental for a little more than $150!  After checking in, I hit up a convenience store to take advantage of my new fridge!  Whoo-hoo!  Looks like Osaka is going to be cheap enough to spend the next couple weeks in.

click here to see my favorite photos from the Aichi Prefecture   

.   

 



Tags: , , , , , , , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *