BootsnAll Travel Network



Hangzhou to Huang Shan

After finding out that to procuring my Indian visa would cost me another five days, I decided to leave the metropolitan wonderland of Shanghai for a while.  The nearby city of Hangzhou, proclaimed by Marco Polo as paradise on earth, seemed like a perfect escape to the commotion of the city and relax.  As an added bonus, I found that Carrie, the Cantonese backpacker from southern China who I met in Xi’an, would also be there at the same time.     

We spent a few beautiful, clear days strolling around the parks surrounding the famous West Lake.  It’s hard not to admire perfect willow-tree framed scenes of misty, pagoda-topped hills rising above an expanse of calm water, shimmering in the orange hues of sun set.  Unfortunately, the stark contrast to this otherwise idyllic locale was an over-abundance of un-palatable food and endless stream of intolerably tacky music playing at every restaurant, bar and park around the lake.

A few days relaxing in Hangzhou were far from enough to experience the delicate charms this city appears to possess.  Alas, I had to head back to Shanghai to pick up the Indian visa, where I was grateful to spend another night with good friends and finally able to properly see the amazing views of the Pudong skyline from the Bund.  With only a month left on my Chinese visa, it would be a waste to stay in this area any longer, so I decided to set out westward with Carrie towards Tibet, Sichuan and the most famously beautiful mountain in China, Huang Shan!

See my miscellaneous photos from Hangzhou 

.



Tags: , , , ,

2 responses to “Hangzhou to Huang Shan”

  1. Greg says:

    Hey man, about damn time you got back to writing. JK 😉 I’ve been slacking for 10 days myself for various reasons.

    Hope to catch up with you soon,
    Greg

  2. Billy Baseball says:

    Hey Adam. Your dad finally sent me your blog address and I’ve read a little bit of it. Sounds like most of your trip has been a great experience. As an “old guy”, I can appreciate what you are getting out of this. I had a buddy who did the Peace Corp in Korea and he was forever changed by the experience. I will continue to check in and follow your exploits as you further the process of proving that not all Americans are ugly. And it doesn’t suck that you’re a “rock and roll hero” to the young girls of China.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *