BootsnAll Travel Network



Children’s Festival & Baleric Sunrise Rave

5.6.07 It’s hard to deny that you are alive when you look up to the dawn sky, dancing in the mud amongst the falling rain with a girl named Ai (Japanese word for love) who earlier the night before dropped a hit of acid on your tongue. As surreal as that sounds on its own, once you throw Mt. Fuji being at your doorstep and the contrast of events preceding the moment it is hard to think of any day remotely comparable.

5.5.07Kanako and I awoke at 4:30am and climbed to the top of Koyodai Lookout to witness sunrise on this exceptionally clear day. After standing in awe, staring at the indescribable beauty of the rising sun enveloping Mt. Fuji in its warm glow, Kana gave my first yoga lesson. A brisk walk back to the café found us perfect timing to catch a ride to the onsen before a day and night of play for adult and child alike.

The children’s festival started in the morning with a famous Japanese comedian carving a log into a bear with a chainsaw. The kids then made their way over to the Café for live music and cotton candy. Later they learned about ecology and planted mint. Before the event came to a close the children were treated to an awesome Karate demonstration. The youth of the day faded away with the sun, and ravers began to arrive to set up tents in the surrounding fields as the kids slowly filtered out.

The evening began with sparklers around a small fire. As the flames grew the party escalated into one of the most exceptional events. Hundreds of people gathered to dance to pulsating house music under the stars at the base of Mt. Fuji. I spent the night drinking shochu, making friends with a few of the coolest people in Japan, and dancing around the blazing inferno.

By sunrise the party was still thumping despite the downpour of rain. I was called up to one of the stages to play drums for an impromptu jam session. After playing non-stop for a couple hours, I took a break to head outside for a few hours of dancing in the mud and rain. About thirty hours of hiking, yoga, playing with children, dancing, drumming, and having a great time eventually drained my energy and I finally passed out….

When I woke up the next evening, I was invited to the onsen by Nabe, Shu, Seino and seven other partiers who were all still going strong since yesterday!! We ended up hanging out for the rest of night. I got a few invites back to Tokyo and was told about a few events coming up the weekend I go back. It’s going to be a fun time for sure…

Click here for more pictures of the Children’s Festival…

… and here for more pictures of the Rave

.



Tags: , , , , , , ,

0 responses to “Children’s Festival & Baleric Sunrise Rave”

  1. george says:

    im fuckin speechless man. sounds like a movie or something, except no one died and there were no plot twists or video cameras… well you get the point.
    glad to see your adventures treating you well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *