BootsnAll Travel Network



Anime at Ghibli + Korean Culture

I spent the next couple days hanging out with Mihye. She took great pleasure teaching me about her Korean culture in attempt to acclimate me before my upcoming trip. Amongst the home cooked meals, and samples of her mother’s delicious kimchi, we also dined at a yakiniku (Korean BBQ). She taught me a few helpful phrases, most importantly how to say “Cheers” before drinking! Seriously, drinking is apparently a big part of their culture, or maybe she’s just an alcoholic!

On Friday, we visited the Ghibli Museum. For those of you who do not recognize the name, Studio Ghibli is an anime production company that has been releasing hit after hit since the 80s. Maybe you have heard of Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, Howl’s Moving Castle, Laputa: Castle in the Sky, or Kiki’s Delivery Service?

It is hard to describe the childlike magic that surrounds the museum. The building itself is very colorful and animated, designed to resemble the films that they produce. The architecture evokes a sense of wonder and draws you into the Ghibli-style anime world. Rooms throughout feature various exhibits providing insight into the animation process, fairytale play grounds for children, and showcases of previous work and memorabilia.

Two of the main attractions were a life-size reproduction of a robot from Laputa standing in the rooftop garden, as well as a movie theater playing anime shorts. The film playing at the time was about a girl who befriended a ‘Catbus’ and was whisked away to its magical world. It is difficult to explain, but I would describe a ‘Catbus’ as an oversized cat with multiple legs and enough space inside to accommodate passengers while it flew around. Ehhh.. I don’t think I can nail it any better than wikipedia.

Surreal, magical, playful… all of these worlds fall short of describing the Ghibli museum. Because I have seen quite a few of their movies I may have enjoyed it more than the inexperienced visitor. However, I will still recommend it for any lengthy stay in Tokyo; it is definitely a place to see for anybody who wants to re-experience the enchantment of youthful imagination.

see more photos from the Ghibli Museum here

Mihye and I went back to Asakusa to wander the deserted streets with a bottle of shochu in hand. Maybe we’re both alcoholics?

One night before leaving Asakusa I was lucky enough to catch the full moon on a clear night after a rainstorm and took some amazing photos. Please enjoy:

.



Tags: , , , ,

2 responses to “Anime at Ghibli + Korean Culture”

  1. george says:

    your photographic eye is amazing brotha!

  2. melissa says:

    GOMBE! we’re gonna SOJU it up in a few short weeks… get ready my alcoholic friend.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *