BootsnAll Travel Network



7 Days in Tibet: Day 3

. Samye Monastery .

Wake at seven thirty in the morning to see the Samye monastery at dawn and witness the morning prayers.  Our “guide” and driver insist on leaving at eight before the monastery opens.  We politely tell them we didn’t drive a day out of our way to stop here and sleep in a non-heated room only to skip the site when we woke.  It is freezing cold, but the unique experience is all worth it.    

See all of my photos from Samye Monastery

We get our fill of the place and then board the van for an amazing trip through high-altitude desert plains, sand dunes, barren mountains and neon-blue glowing lakes.  Along the way we find out about an unfortunate illness one of our party members is suffering; he tells us how he woke to stained pants, had his wallet fall into the squat while he was defecating and then proceeds to vomit out the window as the van bounces along the rough dirt paths to Gyantse.

A couple of delays due to road construction later in the evening leaves us stranded in on a mountain in the dark for a few hours, but we eventually make it to Gyantse in time to relax for the evening.

.



Tags: , , , , , ,

One response to “7 Days in Tibet: Day 3”

  1. Amanda says:

    I love the new format (a few pictures mixed in with the text…) Brilliant shots as always:-)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *