BootsnAll Travel Network



Safari Adventure Day 1!

I’m going to start from the beginning so that you know exactly what happened.After arriving in J’burg I consulted with my hostel and was able to get booked onto a tour that started in Namibia. I booked and confirmed the tour in the evening and was due to fly to Windhoek, pronounced Vind-hook, the next day. Logically i decided the best idea to prepare for my 5:30 A.M. wakeup call would be to get hammered that night with the guy who would be driving me to the airport…what? We stayed up until 1:30 in the morning drinking any shot you could imagine. When my alarm went off a few hours later i sat up in bed and was thrilled that i had no hangover…well now i realize you have to be sober to get a hangover, the hangover would eventually arrive a few hours later. I had to wake Hein up as he was fast asleep in his room. I pounded on his door and he stumbled out and pronounced he was ready to go. Hien is a big grizzly south african man, very nice. We hoped into the car and proceeded to back out. Little did he realize the metal gate wasn’t shut all the way and he proceeded to run over it and knock it down. I asked him several times if he was ok to drive and he assured me he was. 20 minutes later i safely arrived at the airport. I bought my ticket on Air Namibia and was on my way. In the air my hangover would develop and i felt like i was counseling my gag reflex the whole time:“Don’t throw up…please don’t throw up…why would you want to throw, it’s not a good time right now.” 

Eventually my soothing and comforting voice won over and I managed to hold things down. I arrived in Windhoek, the capital city of Namibia. I was supposed to be picked up by my tour company but after 2 hours realized that wasn’t going to happen. Luckily i spotted a truck by the same company i was due to tour with and got a lift into town. For whatever reason i didn’t have transport arranged for me. I got dropped off at a guesthouse in town and was able to get in contact with the company. I would have to arrange a mini-bus to the coastal city of Swakopmund to meet up with my tour. In the meantime i ventured out to a KFC to get a cure for my hangover. I went against better judgement and ordered a chicken sandwich with fries and a coke. When i got my food I opened up the sandwich and lifted the top bun to find my chicken fillet, lettuce and my tomatoe drowning in about 10 gallons of mayo. There was enough mayo to make a batch of potato salad for the entire country of Namibia to eat and have seconds. After my meal I was on my way to meet the mini-bus to head out of town. I was the only white guy on the bus, hilarious. The girl next to me was looking at the front page of the Namibian newspaper and it had 4 pictures of George Bush. Each picture was depicting him chronologically as he tripped and almost fell out of Airforce 1.

The 4 hour journey to Swakopmund wasn’t so bad. I arrived at 8 and checked into the Dunes Lodge and went right to bed.



Tags:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *