BootsnAll Travel Network



One night in Bangkok and the world’s your oyster!

I’ve previously mentioned some of the fun times i’ve had riding public transportation in some of these countries. Thailand officially takes the cake for the craziest bus ride i’ve ever been on in my entire life. From Phuket I could have flown to Bangkok and been there within an hour or so. The cost of the flight was about 1350 Baht. The problem is that the Tuk Tuk drivers charge you 700 Baht to get to the airport from where I was. So instead i decided to bay 650 Baht to get all the way to Bangkok on the bus. So let’s review, 700 just to the airport or 650 all the way to Bangkok, yeah, that’s right. The Mini-bus picked me up at about 130. It’s about an hours drive, give or take, to get off the island and to mainland thailand. The first mini bus driver drove around for about an hour and then pulled over on the side of the road and dropped us off with another mini bus driver. This guy drove us around for about another hour or so before we finnally left the island. It wasn’t until about 430 that we got to the mainland and headed to Surat Thani where I would catch a coach bus to go to Bangkok. I arrived in Surat Thani at about 630 and was dropped off on the side of the road only to have to jump on to another mini bus…here is where it get’s interesting. He drove around town for a few minutes then decided to go into the other lane and drive against traffic. Just before my life started flashing before my eyes he pulled into a place that looked like a bus station. He had the music pumping in this mini-bus. He told us to wait in the car while he got out and farted around. Finally before we left he ran up and bought a beer before jumping back in the car. Yes, my bus driver was drinking a beer and already driving in the wrong lane. Finnally he dropped us off at the real bus station and I made the long and painful journey to Bangkok arriving at about 5 in the morning. The damn buses are so cold they give you blankets. Everyone freezes their ass off. I don’t get why they can’t turn it down. Anyhow, i’m now safely in Bangkok and ready to explore this fine city. I need to get my visa for Vietnam and perhaps do some shopping for some gifts. Adios for now!



Tags: ,

0 responses to “One night in Bangkok and the world’s your oyster!”

  1. Your brother Tom says:

    Hey Bri Long Time No talk

    Sounds like you are having quite the time on your journeys in Thailand. I am having an incredible time so far at camp. It is a lot of fun and everyone is really cool. I think it is going to be a great summer. Ive met so many kids from across the world. A few of my friends that i met from Sweeden are actually going to Thailand in a few months to backpack around. They said it is pretty common for European kids to go there. Makes me think I’m going to have to make the trip someday. Most of my friends are from Scottland, England, Holland, France, South Africa, and Sweeden. It is really an amazing experience learning about all their different cultures. I am running out of time to use the internet so I will leave you with this story. The other day my friends from Scottland asked me if I wouldn’t mind bringing them to Wal-Mart. The funny thing is, it wasn’t to shop but rather just to see it because they were so intrigued by the concept. When we arrived it was as if I had just pulled into the Disney World parking lot. Theyre eyes were so wide and theyre jaws dropped with amazing. They even made me take their picture outside in front of the Wal-Mart sign. Well we finally went inside they looked aorund with amazing for about 10 seconds in silent and one of them said, and i kid you not, “Wow, I really feel like I’m in America now!” I had to hold in the puke that came into my mouth when i heard him say that. Really makes you wonder when you hear people say something like that. Well anyways as always stay safe and I’ll Talk to you soon

    Love,

    Tom

  2. Karen says:

    Brian,

    Glad to hear all is well with you. We received your latest postcard and read it to the kids. In it you wrote that you went scuba diving and saw an octopus. Jack then asked us “was he awake”. Tim and I couldn’t figure out if he was talking about you or the octopus.

    Emily is graduating Thursday from kindergarten (big day at the Flanagan household) and then next week I am leaving for the Cape for a few days. Summer has finally arrived!

    As always, we miss you….take care, stay safe and you are in our prayers.

    Love,
    Karen

  3. Angry Inch says:

    Yep you really don’t have any fun unless you are half dead…what type of SCUBA Cert do you have…. PADI? Do you find so far that it matters which one you have when going on dives? I bet the wreck dives off the coast of South Africa will be amazing. Maybe I should get a civilian re-breather cert. Let me know.

    Oh yeah and “Whats the Capitol of Thailand….BANGKOK!!!”

  4. Anna says:

    Hi Brian!

    Heard from Andy that you are a little unwell… hope you feel better soon.

    take care and be nice to your stomach…

    Bye for now

    Love Anna

  5. Hi there…you are such the adventure man!! Make sure you pick me up something nice…. thats the least you can do. Don’t think we don’t miss you and wish you were here….or atleast in an area where we could talk aimlessly for hours about nothing…oh…and you can Eric can make innappropriate jokes to eachother while WE are on the phone with eachother. FUN FOR ME!

    We MISS YOU and Sophie misses you too!!

    alice and eric

  6. Mary-Jo says:

    Hi Brian,
    Thanks for the postcards for Nathan, but what about Aidan? Isn’t it a little early to be picking favorites? He’s a solid boy – I’d stay on his good side…
    Sorry you’ll miss the big birthday party – I’ll be taking the orders for hamburgers and hotdogs… your father’s day entry reminded us of the good old days!
    Take Care!
    Mary-Jo, Colleen, Nathan and Aidan (Mikey’s away “on business”).

  7. Download Disco Down Ringtone…

    Hear the ringtone of the popular song: Download Disco Down …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *