BootsnAll Travel Network



My First Aussie Rules game!

So yesterday i attended my first Aussie Rules game. I did it with a bit of hesitation as I have no clue what the rules are and shelling out $18.50 for something i knew nothing about wasn’t really in the budget. So i threw caution to the wind and purchased a ticket and walked in. I walked up to the third tier and perched myself in a standing room only section. It was so great to see all these people screaming and yelling over stuff happening in the game that i had no clue about. I could only imagine someone going to a Red Sox game for the first time and having no clue as to even what baseball was. Sitting there and seeing the two teams, and not knowing a single player on the team. Watching the people scream, yell, and boo over things that you didn’t know were going on. Could you imagine seeing Big Papi hit one over the fence and have no clue it was a homerun? That’s what i felt like. As the game pressed on i started chatting up an aussie guy who was kind enough to tell me the rules and also said that half the people in the stadium probably didn’t know what was going on either. The game itself is a pretty fast paced game and very physical. Mostly it’s just guys running around and trying to kick the ball on the run to a player on their team. If you kick it to a guy and he is within the 50 meter boundary surrounding the goal he get’s a kick to try to score a goal. I know that doesn’t really make sense but it was definitely a fun day. I’d have to say that Melbourne is a pretty nice city. It’s cold here and it does remind me a little bit of Boston. I’ve got two more days here before i head out. I’ll keep you updated…



Tags: ,

14 responses to “My First Aussie Rules game!”

  1. Kev says:

    Fit like gaggers?

    I gotta worry about this line “i started chatting up an aussie guy”, hopefully that means something different in seppo land but it wouldn’t be a good thing to chat up a guy in Scotland!

    Good news, I got a new job the other day. I’ll no longer be a contract scumbag so when we do our trip to the lakes I’ll be able to take two weeks off and we can maybe make another trip somewhere.

    You’re trip continues to sound brilliant mate, keep up the good work!

    Kev

  2. Gagnon,

    You liberal pansy!! Seppo? I would have politely excused myself from that one as the added alcohol would not have made a good showing for sure. I for sure would have fired back a black tooth or limey. Something. Funny how people hate us until they need our help………… WW2 ring any bells?

    Sports Update: Sox lost to the Tampa Bay Double A’s on Thursday. Coughed up a 6-2 lead in the 8th to lose a heartbreaker in the 12th on Friday (Beckett ruined himself in the 8th) they got smoked on Saturday thanks to Roy Halladay.

    Sunday Matt Clement stops the bleeding as the Sox and Foulke looked good for a win. Papelbon won a bet with Kevin Youkilis and had to get a Mohawk with Rick Vaughan edging for his reward.

    Reggie Bush is at the center of a Marcus Camby like scandal, his mom and step dad were living in this huge ass house rent free for like the last year, the house belongs to some guy who wants to be his Marketing Manager. The press has been pretty reserved so far on this one which shocks me considering his name is Bush. I figured he’d be hung in effigy by now….

    Pats are still in the bunker about the draft on Saturday, like we’d expect anything less… You keep reading I’ll keep writing. Rome has been awesome lately, the Smack off is on May 5th so if you can get near a computer to stream link you can hear it all, you know you want to!!!!

  3. Tom says:

    Well put Mark… did you ever find that girl from Fiji there in Melbourne?

  4. Uncle Ted uncle says:

    I am having fun following your trip.

  5. Mark McManmon says:

    Brian,
    Noreen and I are enjoying the stories. They are great. Can’t wait to read more about your journey.

  6. Fairview says:

    Have you run into Crocodile Dundee? Watch out, he has a BIG KNIFE!

  7. hey babe….sounds fun. I hpe you are living life…i still can’t wait to see pics…i didn’t get them through email.

    I hope you are still training for the big fight….i know the lion is….

  8. Brian,

    Lots of tidbits- Bryant Gumbel is now working for the NFL Network doing play by play. They coupled him with Cris “I hate the Patriots” Collinsworth.

    Red Sox won Tuesday Manny’s 3 run opposite field Bomb was the difference. Papi also went deep. Schill pitched mezza mezza. Foulke got the vultrue win for pitching 1/3 of an inning. Papelbon lookd awesome again!

    Wed. I didn’t watch the game as I had SCUBA homework, but they got shelled 7-1.

    USC’s QB Mark “Dirty” Sanchez was arrested for allegedly raping a freshman co-ed. Not a good week for USC.

    Brett Frave will paly this year and the Packers signed Charles Woodson to a 7 year deal yesterday.

    LaVar Arrington signed with the Giants and will now wear #55 as opposed to #56. I wonder why?

    Late-

    Mark

  9. Reason Is Treason Ringtone…

    Download the ringtone of the popular song: Reason Is Treason …

  10. hentai anime young

    hentai anime young source

  11. car kid race skinny

    Relevant car kid race skinny

  12. ringtone star war

    Eye of ringtone star war

  13. I really liked your blog with the Roy Halladay item. I think Halladay will be an instant hall-of-famer.
    I try to follow as much MLB news as I can from Caracas, Venzuela.

  14. It’s hard to argue with the points your making.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *