BootsnAll Travel Network



Great Ocean Road

So let me catch everyone up as i’ve been away from the wonderful world we call the internet for a few days. I left Melbourne Tuesday morning for a 6 day tour that would take me all the way to Adelaide in the Southern Territory as well as a trip out to Kangaroo Island which is off the coast of Adelaide. I left before the crack of dawn on tuesday and we made our way west with a group of about 20 strangers. The only person talking on the bus was this american college student who i found out later is over here on an exchange. Picture the bus absolutely silent at 7 in the morning with people sleeping and this guy telling a girl he knew about his travels of the past week…

“F*ck dude…i was in New Zealand and…ok, i must have blacked out about 2 or 3 times, cause i was so wasted. Then i went bungy jumping and it was F*cken awesome…holy F*cken Sh*t…then one night i just woke up in a hospital…had blood all over my face and didn’t know why…it was F*cken awesome.”

So as you can imagine that was pretty thrilling storytelling as that’s just the tip of the iceberg. As we headed west along the coast we passed some beautiful spots and i was trying to get some sleep as we pulled over on the side of the road. Everyone got out and started looking up in the trees…what do you know, Koalas everywhere, it was amazing. I was told that they are not Koala Bears but just Koala’s. The word Koala means “doesn’t drink” as they only eat the Eucalyptus. It was pretty amazing to see them in the wild just chilling out in trees, definitely not at the zoo. I was still a little disappointed though as i’ve been in Australia for just over a week and still hadn’t seen a Kangaroo, i thought they were everywhere. So at the end of that day we finished up at the 12 Apostles, which are absolutely amazing. They are limestome formations just off the beach that stand about 50 to 100 feet tall maybe. I took a helicopter tour out over the water and got an amazing sunset view of them…stunning. As the day closed we sat and watched the sunset over the apostles and then watched the penguins come ashore for the night which was another spectacular thing to see. I will tell you i’m getting a little tired of seeing all this wildlife and it not being caged in. Do the australians have no clue that just letting these animals run wild can be very dangerous?

Later that night we all went back to the tiny camp park where we stayed. It’s funny how the dynamic of the group changed when a few beers showed up. People were all staying to themselves for the most part and then when the drinking starts everyone opens up and starts chatting away…it’s alot of fun. I love talking to all the people from all over the world. Everyone has great stories and great views on things that make for interesting conversation.



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *