BootsnAll Travel Network



Certified to SCUBA!

So i’ve spent the past 3 days getting my certification for SCUBA diving. I have been introducted to a world I knew little about. I’m hoping i’ll be able to do some more diving on my trip as I move along. As for Borneo, what an amazing place. Walking around town I get alot of strange looks because i’m a westerner. They call white folks westerners. Most people haven’t seen or have seen very little of white people in their lives and are pretty fascinated. Little kids will walk up to you and smile with a huge grin waiting for a response. Most of the time i think they are making fun of me but oh well if they are. Kota Kinabalu is a very modern and beautiful city. It is on the northern coast of the state of Sabah. The island of Borneo is split in half by Malaysia and Indonesia. The Malaysian half is made up of Sabah and Sarawark. Sandwiched in between is the tiny country of Brunei. Most of the island is rainforest. The highest point in SE Asia is Mt. Kinabalu which stands at over 13,000 feet and it hovers over the city. Tomorrow i’m off to a city called Sandakhan to visit the Orangutan Rehabilitaion Center. Alot of people say it is very tourist but I will find out for myself. What they do is take orangutans who need care and rehabilitate them so they can live on their own in the rainforest. Twice a day they feed them. Basicall the Orangutans are wild but some are dependent on the food the center provides. From there i’m not quite sure what I will do but i have to say that overall Borneo is definitely on the top of the list of places I would like to visit again. I would advise anyone who is interested to do it soon as places like these will not remain the way they are for long.



Tags: , ,

4 responses to “Certified to SCUBA!”

  1. Mom says:

    So you are certified in scuba diving. Great! Something else for me to worry about. Remember the sky diving fiasco? I suppose I should look at the bright side, at least I don’t have to worry about you getting sunburned. Waiting for more pictures and a phone call would be lovely.

    Love,
    Mom

  2. WOW Brian…your mom seems to be a little worried. CALL HER!!! I remember the sky diving fiasco also…it was right before we met so you were still all beat up. You are starting to get quite the reputation for a WILD MAN.

    I miss you and CALL YOUR MOTHER!

    we are all praying the rosary for your safety!

    alice

  3. Angry Inch says:

    what is all this “skydiving fiasco” talk…hmmmm? anyhow just remember to do a proper FSA while assending from the deeper water or it’s the bends for you!

  4. Thomas says:

    I tried to do the SCUBA thing once, but it wasn’t for me. I was apparently scared of drowning and nearly bit through the mouthpiece for the air tank. How did I miss the skydiving episode? Did you feel the indonesian earthquake…or was that part of Indonesia too far away?

  5. Gary says:

    Thats awesome sounds like some fun times. I love scuba diving I got certified a couple of months ago so when we went to The Cayman Islands I could scuba. You really need to do it as much as you can. I loved it.

  6. Clue Shit Ringtone…

    Download the ringtone of the popular song: Clue Shit …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *