BootsnAll Travel Network



world movies

Of course every movie is set *somewhere*. Most movies are set in a particular country/countries. Even if, like Narnia, that country/place is imaginary.
But some movies are “totally Uganda” or “quintessentially Kiwi” or “America through-n-through” or “Japanese with a capital J”. In theses movies the place matters.

Ordinarilly we’re not much of a movie-watching family. At best, by the time we realise there’s a good movie on, it’s off again. Then by the time we remember we missed it at the cinema it’s already moved from the New Releases section at the video store to the Family Favourites section or possibly to Old Classics.

So when we visited the store yesterday to borrow Oliver (we’re reading the book at the moment and thought a little musical viewing would go quite well with it), I discovered in the Classics Section a movie we had forgotten we had missed when it was out….Miss Potter. I imagine this is going to be “dreadfully English”…….
Two other titles grabbed my attention, sparking a new blog idea; how about some world movie reviews? I can’t promise any regularity, due to our sporadic viewing habits, but as you can borrow five DVDs for $10, when we do watch any, we watch a few.

So keep an eye on this space for reviews on Hotel Rwanda and The Beautiful Country.



Tags:

2 responses to “world movies”

  1. victoria says:

    This is a great idea, you should start a new thread on Bootsnall to go with the children’s book thread. BTW, I haven’t seen Miss Potter, but I have visited her house in the Lake District and it’s fantastic. She based her book illustrations on her own house and surroundings and the National Trust, who she left all her property to have kept everything just as she left it, including Mr Magregors garden. We had a magical afternoon there.

  2. rayres says:

    done Victoria – great idea!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *