BootsnAll Travel Network



transport me baby

Remember how we can’t tow a caravan around England? Remember how we can’t even fit our whole family in a vehicle at one time *legally*? Remember we were thinking of picking up a couple of campervans second hand in Germany instead? (well, that seems to be as fraught with difficulties as cutting through British Red Tape)…..and so…….

introducing the latest wild idea…..

which, just for the record, Rob is in no way keen about…at least, not until each person can contribute meaningfully to pedal-pushing…and THEN he wants to ride across America (not just little England).

And which, still for the record, Grandpa has also deemed a bad idea. Though he wants us to do the bike across America not too far in the future, so he can join us.

The idea………………………………

Four of these:

hasebikes studiobild  

pulling three of these:

and one of these (it attaches to a bike with a thingy not in the photo):

CHARIOT CARRIERS Cougar1

Using three of these:

You think that’s not possible?
Let’s take another look at that.

Rob with L8 on the front can tow T5 and ER3 (ages they will be by the time we get to the UK)
J13 and K10 would come in next towing a trailer with first aid kit, toiletries, towels, toilet paper and “the kitchen”
J14 and K12 would tow all the clothing
Rachael with M6 on the front could tow a trailer with tents (<10kg), sleeping bags (10kgs) and electronic equipment (ipod, gps, lappie, chargers, steripen, camera) and journals and a deck of cards

Grandpa, who already owns (and uses, what’s more, even though he’s approaching eighty years old) one of these, can fit in anywhere he likes in the *caravan*:

GT1

Of course, we could chop and change, riding in different combinations, but that list is merely to indicate the plausibility of the exercise. *nods head thoughtfully*

Arguments for those who still require convincing:
* we would have no passenger number difficulties
* no registration headaches
* no insurance problems
* no choosing left-or-right-hand drive
* no petrol costs
* we would have a green conscience
* we wouldn’t have to pay for the vehicles at campgrounds
* we wouldn’t have to drive separately (although on a bad day, *that* could have its advantages!!!)
* we wouldn’t be stuck (potentially) with two vehicles we cannot sell
* we could keep the bikes, using them when back in NZ, reducing our petrol costs forever
* four bikes would be easier to keep track of on the road than ten
* if necessary, the Pinos can be ridden without a passenger
* the UK is a good place to start bicycle touring – it’s compact (even riding at just 12km an hour for only five hours, you could get 60km in a day, which is enough to get from one point to another – unlike in America where it would take you all year to get anywhere at that rate!)
* the UK even has cycle tracks
* there’s a good network of camping barns throughout England, and when you get up into Scotland you can camp wherever you want! For free! (OK, so the campervans would be preferable, especially if it’s raining, but where’s your sense of adventure?)
*once we’d done that we’d feel more ready to cycle across America or round New Zealand or hop over to Europe (Swiss Alps anyone?)
* we’d be all set to make the most of any of these cycling tours

As I said to Rob, early on in this discussion “I have suggested crazier things.”
He thought I was mad when I proposed taking trains instead of aeroplanes, and now look!

Of course, if World War III breaks out we may not get *into* Russia, let alone out the other side. But the dream exists 😉

And I’m not as crazy as this guy, Brian Zupke.

Brian Zupke and family

Or this one, Joe Kurmaskie.
 

(Not as strong either, I suspect)

I am, however, inspired…and more inspired…and even close to convinced.

Coming soon: rebuttal against the proposal 😉



Tags: ,

4 responses to “transport me baby”

  1. Leighleigh says:

    I really really really want to be supportive – but the UK has really unpredictable weather – especially in Scotland (I did a 7 day trek in August, and at one point had hail…). I do think you are a legend for even thinking about it, I would be lazy and see the UK as the rest point along your adventure – and hey – you have managed to overcome the whole ‘no plane’s just trains’ thing….so if there is any family I know who could pull this off – it you (and it will make the blog so much more interesting!!)

  2. rayres says:

    Leighleighleigh…..had you noticed we have pretty unpredicatable weather round here too?;-) But don’t call us legends until we actually DO it!!!!!! Anyone can *think* about it (though I will concede, probably not too mnay even do that…I mean, why would you?)
    slow food….slow travel….no ratrace…..sounds pretty good to me:)

  3. Hey – we just came through a week of non-stop rain up in the Canadian Rockies, and we survived. You can do it – it’ll take some planning to figure out the bikes and such, but it’s definitely doable!! Go for it!

    Nancy
    http://www.familyonbikes.org

  4. WOW! I discovered you today 8-20-2009, have read from the beginning to here – will have to stop soon but will finish tomorrow. We have gotten to my heaven – bike touring and I will be 75 in October – similar to your Grandpa. I got here through the blog of the above comment and they are now in Columbia.

    Grandpa Gene crazyguyonabike.com/geneandann

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *