BootsnAll Travel Network



I Sold My Seoul For Rock & Roll!

The Plan: Wake up early, three hour bus trip to Seoul, wander the city, see a Crying Nut show (Famous Korean punk band), party until the buses start running in the morning!   

You can pretty much scratch the waking up early part off the list.  Melissa and I both got up pretty lazily after last night’s partying on the beach.  Altering the plan a little bit more, we spent the afternoon playing guitar, singing and doing laundry before we realized it was already 16:00.  The show started at 18:00, so we rushed out to the bus depot for a lift to the city.

By the time we arrived it was already dusk.  We frantically made our way towards Hongdae, and arrived at ‘Club Drug’ just in time to catch Crying Nut.  It was a perfect show; the small venue was packed to the brim and overflowing with energy, excitement and deafening music!  Over an hour and a half long set they segued between speed-punk, reggae and the occasional cheesy ballad.  They did an amazing job captivating the audience with their talented musical prowess, instantly catchy songs and entertaining stage antics.

A highlight worth mentioning was during a song in English.  They sung about sailing home after a long journey over the course of a dreamy intro.  Before kicking into the heavy driving beat, an inflatable raft dropped from the ceiling and the singer dove into to it for some “crowd sailing”!

When the show came to a close we returned to the streets of Hongdae in search of a quality drinking establishment.  The first we came across was another live music club called FF.  They were having an all-you-can-drink special when we arrived. Although they tried to get us for 20,000W each we talked them down to 5,000W ($5)!  We literally had all we could drink while we watched a few of the local bands doing their best to sound like Linkin Park and My Chemical Romance.  However, one of the bands did pleasantly surprise us by playing a version of the Ghostbusters theme song (which the DJ next club ironically spun as well).After getting our fill of free alcohol and laughs we proceeded to another club where they were blasting The Strokes, Arctic Monkeys, Bloc Party and a few other awesome bands!  More drinks… dancing… making friends.  Good times were had.

Eventually, everybody migrated over to a nearby park to carry on the party.  But after the sun had been up for a while, Melissa and I made our way back to the bus terminal for a ride back to Gangneung.  The only detour we made was into a Krispy Kreme to find some re-hydration.  We happened to walk in during donut making time, and were offered the freshest donuts I’ve ever had the pleasure of tasting.  Warmth still emanated from the soft dough and sticky glaze.  Ahhh… words can not describe how delicious it was! 

.



Tags: , , , , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *