BootsnAll Travel Network



Visa Runs!

Just in case you were thinking somehow I was getting away with something, being in a paradisical setting with “myself”, let this message set you straight.

Visa runs, hahahaha! that whole idea gets really funny in a moment, are a new thing in Thailand. When I was here four years ago, you simply took the passport to the nearest ‘travel agency’, dropped it off, paid $36 or so and three days later, it returned with a stamp on it, which the Thai government received as valid upon exiting the country…believe it or not. About this process, I never asked many questions. Just said a little blessing over the passport beforehand and prayed it’d get back to me.

When I was preparing for this trip, I didn’t either have enough time, or think it was necessary to send my passport to the thai consulate to get a legitimate visa. This caused loads of trouble at the airport, which was finally worked out. Upon arrival I received a 30-day tourist visa. As soon as I got to Koh Phangan, I realized the visa situation was more complicated and that I would have to make a trip to Penang, Malaysia every 3 months to get a new one.

30 days is almost up! Pi-pat suggested I travel to Surrathani, meet up with Pi-Mem, have dinner, etc. Mem has a travel agency in Surrathani where I could catch the mini-bus to Penang, get a new visa, travel back to Surrathani and then fly to BKK to meet up with Maggie, to Koh Samui on a plane and then a boat back to Koh Phangan in time to celebrate the New Year.

I started the trip on Christmas Eve. Saddened by the reality that neither would I be with my family that evening, nor with my friends on the island, I settled on the idea that I would spend the evening with Mem and celebrate in each moment. After a three-hour boat ride, I arrived in the port town and met up with Mem. She took me straight to a hotel room, which was both sufficiently cheap and comfortable. She promised to wait for me downstairs and said we’d go to the department store to pick up a few things and then have dinner. “Thai dept. store,” I thought…”interesting”. So we headed to Big C or Mixie, I never quite made out what she was calling it and before my eyes was none other than Thailand’s version of Target. For those of you who have any doubts, I loathe Target.

Next she asked, “should go eat together”, “of course, of course”, I said. She said, “you are a vegetarian, right?”. I said, (sticking to this idea that, while in a foreign country one should receive in the tradition, including food that is most common) “I like to eat vegetables, but really, I love to try new food and am happy to eat wherever you would enjoy”…oh how i wish i could take those words back! we stopped at two street vendors, ate noodles both times, and as my mouth was burning off from the curry, and the piece of chicken liver was floating in my bowl, I was thinking, this is going to be bad tomorrow….very bad…

The next day, Christmas day that is, I woke up at 5am, called The family, arranged for a time to speak with everyone together and got on the minibus headed to Penang. One minibus, took me to another minibus, where oddly enough I was the only passenger to de-bus and take a new bus. Then to Hat Yai, where I, and again, only I got off the bus and switched again. I was trusting the entire time that the reason I was being whisked one bus to another, was because Mem made it clear that I was to arrive before the Visa offices closed, which I indeed did.

But I also, never stopped to eat. So while I was being whisked around, my stomach was growling, and churning and each time the bus stopped to get gas, I ran to the restroom and…I’ll leave the rest of that up to your imagination, but I think some people call it Montezuma’s revenge. Why is Montezuma so angry anyways?

Finally, the bus driver, on seeing my face in sheer agony, offered me his BBQ flavored crisps, Christmas Dinner? I received them and bowed to him numerous times to show gratitude. We took the bus on a ferry and made it over to Penang, where the very kind bus driver dropped me off at the visa office. Took care of the payment, paperwork, etc. for the visa, found a guest house and a couple of buddies from the bus and we headed out to eat…at this point my gutts were wrenched, I was sweating…and they agreed on Indian…

I tried to eat but after the first few bites realized the curried veggies weren’t going down my throat. So I had some water and bee-lined it back to my room. Up every hour, until 4:30a when the Immodium I took decided not to sit either and…I was a real mess! Finally, I ran over to 7/11…thank god for that place…got a bottle of water and a loaf of white bread. I sat in my room for an hour or so and ate one piece.

THE LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL…Was feeling stable enough this morning to have cereal. Found a new room, slept until 2p and just woke and had porridge. The good news is, the Mom in charge of this house, is as kind and understanding as possible and her love is already warming my heart and putting a smile enough on my face to allow me to retell this story with a little humor.

Oh, did I mention that somewhere along the way, someone reached down in my bag and stole my international cellphone. Don’t worry (mama) I will get a new one as soon as I get back to BKK…good news is, I had a thai SIM card and not the International one in the phone. So the international cell number and account is still legit.

Merry, Merry Christmas from Malaysia!

I really do hope yours was full of yummy food, good family and lots of laughter!

With so much love to each of you,
Tiff



Tags: ,

19 responses to “Visa Runs!”

  1. Mama says:

    oh my………pray for your safe return WITH MAGGIE to Koh Phagnan….all my love to you, dear daughter. Mama

  2. Starkey says:

    Geez . .

    be careful Peanut . . .

    and Merry Christmas!

  3. Misti says:

    I’m so glad you are feeling better! What a “crappy” way 🙂 to spend Christmas.

    I love you! Make sure you call us when you get a new cell phone. It’ll make Mooch worry less and we’d love to talk with you again…

    PS – I moved into dad’s house. Its weird living somewhere else, but it sure is a lovely house. Winnie seems to love it! 🙂

  4. tia tracy says:

    My Goodness !!!
    I just was checking to see if you were ok from the pacific quake …that was threatining another tsumni yesterday. Sounds to me that your were doing some shake rattle and rolling of your own…:~}
    Glad to know that your ok…and feeling much better.
    You take care and be careful…and no more chiken liver…ever!

    with many prayers and much love,
    tia tracy

  5. Maggie says:

    Tiff,

    I’m so sorry. Christmas just wasn’t Christmas all around this year. But I cannot wait to hear the story from you personally, because I did have a hard time not laughing reading it. I kept telling myself–it’s not funny, it’s not funny…because i’m NOT jinxing myself…I laugh at you, I get it twice as bad. Montezuma is a terrible, terrible man. (or god, whatever he is)

    No street vendors for me, ok? See you Friday!!!!!

  6. Jenn says:

    Merry Christmas? What, did I miss it? 🙂 Maggie and I just said “Happy Monday” to each other, downed a bottle of wine, and called it a day.

    I miss you so much, my stomach hurts! (though apparently not as much as yours). I wish I could come in Maggie’s suitcase. Please, please email me with your number (I never got it before you left) – hopefully you will get a new phone soon and I will call you on New Years Eve to celebrate 2007 together.

    Good god, Tiff, your life is such an adventure. Please keep writing – even when it’s tough to read (I can’t imagine what your poor Christmas was like) it makes my day so much brighter.

    Love you bunches,
    Jenn

  7. Cool Dude says:

    You really gave some folks a chance to show compassion on Christmas .. Namaste!nr (-glad you’re better..) nr !what a sharing! nr LOVELOVELOVE

  8. DAD says:

    Hey Tiff, I be blogging. Glad everything worked out on the VISA. Take care of yourself. You could go down to nothing if you make to many trips to the can. How if the weather? I am in VEGAS and it is in the 50’s each day. Playing a little golf. Pretty quiet here now getting ready for NEW YEARS EVE. Based on your last trip you may want to stay home. I LOVE YOU. Hope this blogging works. See Ya. Love Dad.

  9. Dennis says:

    Hi Tiff, nrHope you have a good time with Maggie. I sent to say my hellos with her. You two be safe and enjoy the New Year Celebrations whatever you two do. Talk soonnrluv Dennis

  10. Maggie says:

    I AM HERE.

    AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    PS. Drew–I am so sad I didn’t know you were in Columbus. Jenn and I were on a bit of a rampage and would have loved to had you join us! Next time, k?

  11. Drew says:

    Maggie,

    Are you kidding?! I would have loved to have rampaged with you and Jenn! In fact, please have Tiff send me Jenn’s number so I can speak with her while I’m back.

    Soak it in, Mags (if that’s an appropriate nickname), because you never know when you’ll be back. And, oh, trust me….you’ll be back!

    Love always,
    Drew

  12. annemarie says:

    happy new year my friend, what an exciting adventure to-date. ok but i wanted to cry when i ready you had bread & water… i’m guessing it was processed white bread? not like a yummy bagurette? miss your smiling face in cmh. xooxo AnneMarie

  13. Mike says:

    Hey Happy New Year nrnrjust got back form Reno and wanted to get in touch. glad to hear things are going well so far. I’ll write more later but back to work for now.nrnrMike

  14. Maggie says:

    Drew,
    Not sure if you are still there, but Jenns # is 614-306-3631.

    I am getting ready to go ride an elephant. I’ll have to fill you in on the rest of it all at another time, not all blog-appropriate 🙂

    But so far, what an amazing experience. Being here with tiff is the best.

    Hope you are well. And of course–mags is the only thing I respond to!

  15. Sarah says:

    Hi Tiffany,
    I am happy to hear you are doing well, and loving following your adventures through your blog.
    Peace, Sarah

  16. Felicity says:

    Hi Tiff,

    Hope the New Year started better than Christmas Eve ended…..

    It is soooooo interesting reading your stories. I have been thinking about you a lot and wish you all the best for 2007!!!! 🙂

    End of this month, we are going to move to Media, PA. I will miss CMH and all the great people here, incl. you 🙁

    Take Care,
    Felicity

  17. Cool Dude says:

    Now that you’ve passed through a horrific initiation and gotten a free colonic cleansenras benefit…you’ve prob’ly been seasoned for the duration… strengthened for your journey I’m sure…Take it easy dear one xxxooonr

  18. Marcia says:

    Dear One,We think of you often and continue to wish you well in all your adventures. I love the description of your tantra class. I agree that this life itself and all its amazing manifestations can take us right into our nature. Several people at the center lately mentioned how much your teaching/presence meant to them–always nice to hear. All is well here-we are joyfully busy as we just had our first teaching week. So glad to be back at it.All love,Marcia

  19. DAD says:

    Hey Tiff. Happy valentines day. I love and miss you very much. I am in Vegas for a few days. I ran from the snow in Columbus like a big chicken. It is in the 60’s here and getting warmer every day. Hope all is well with you. Looking forward to us getting together some how this summer. HAPPY, HAPPY, HAPPY VALENTINES DAY Love DAD

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *