BootsnAll Travel Network



And Mama was worried that we were partying in Haadrin…

The main beach on Koh Phangan, Haadrin, is infamous for Full Moon Party and every month somewhere from 6-25,000 people inhabit the island for 24 hours of sex, drugs and rock n’ roll…or techno in the case of modernity. Upon Maggie’s arrival, she made it clear that we would definitely be attending this party. What choice did I have?;) We got all dressed up, took a taxi, which is really a pick-up with benches in the back, to Haadrin. My Mama, the kind +65 year-old woman from whom I rent the house, was worried sick. She called Pi-Pat several times, etc. etc. While it was a very big party, danced until sunrise, we made it home from Haadrin just fine.

However, while I was standing in the kitchen the other night, doing dishes from our girls’ dinner party, (black bean hummus, spanish rice, beautiful salad—chocolate, of course:) Maggie says to me, “Tiff, there is a very large, winged bug coming underneath the door”. I said, “Well don’t let it in…swat it out, do something!” It was too late!…about midnight, in fact.

I walked into the ‘family room’ and sure enough, this very large, winged bug flew right into the bedroom and landed on a curtain. I looked at Maggie and said, “well, you let it in, what now?” As she got close to it, it took off again, and we both went screaming out of the house for the first time that night.

Slowly we walked back in, Maggie grabs her green beach towel, with a palm tree design and puts it over her head??? She walks back in the bedroom searching for the bug and finds it on the ceiling…proceeds, after a little prodding, to take the broom and try to swat at it- not before taking a few practice swings in the family room, of course…so towel covered broom in hand, she convinces me to ‘back her up’. At which point, I of course cover my head too, duh!…and we go into the room together, heads covered, the escape route planned, she gives it one good whap and we go running and screaming out the front door!

God love Mama. She must have heard the racket because from the dark of night we heard, “Tip, Tip” which is the Thai version of Tiff. She appeared on our doorstep with a flashlight. We tried to tell her it was a bug. However, the large flapping motions I did with my arms, must have made her think it was a pterodactyl because she turned around and reappeared in moments with Papa and a 6′ wooden stake.

Maggie then remembered she had taken a picture of this lecherous beast and showed it to Mama. Mama, as kind as she is, could not help but cover her face and laugh for a few moments. She said, “Not dangerous. No worry.”…Maggie said, “We don’t care, not dangerous, can’t sleep here”…So Mama and Papa go into the bedroom and shake out our bed, clothes, pillows, curtains, packs, you name it…no bug to be found.

Maggie and I, still standing in the family room, in the corner, with our heads covered, decide to go in and look too. Everyone is looking and this bug can’t be found anywhere. Papa went home. He laughed so hard when he saw the picture, I thought he’d pee…Mama had almost convinced us that the bug must have flown outside, when I spotted it. Guess where?…sitting right on top of Mama’s shoulder. I said, “Mama, the bug is on your shoulder” and pointed towards her right shoulder. She didn’t understand ‘shoulder’ so she spun around a few times looking for it, behind her, above her, on the opposite shoulder, etc.

Then Maggie, who had heard me when I said, ‘shoulder’ saw the bug too and said, “Mama, OUTSIDE”…just like that, Maggie was pushing our Mama out of the door, repeating very firmly and pointing outside “Mama, OUTSIDE”. When Mama had cleared the door frame, walking backwards and wondering why she was being pushed out, Maggie locked the door and waved goodbye. I kept saying, “Mama, your shoulder” and pointing to the bug. Finally from behind the glass window, we could see that Mama found the bug. She took it in her hand and said, through the window, “See. Not dangerous. No worry.”

We put our hands together in front of our hearts in prayer pose and both waved goodbye. There was no way in hell, we were opening that door up to hug Mama goodnight. The next morning, when we saw Papa, he was still laughing. We went to meet Pi-Pat on the beach and she was laughing. She had already heard the story and insisted we reenact it. The good new is, we were still laughing too!

Enjoy!

Love,

Tiff, Mags and The Jackajan (aka. Cicada:)



Tags: ,

12 responses to “And Mama was worried that we were partying in Haadrin…”

  1. Starkey says:

    Great story Tiff

    Did you take pictures?

    And where are the pictures you were going to be sending home? Would love to see your shanty.

  2. Mama says:

    thank you for the laugh!! bless mama’s heart! what a precious story.

  3. Misti says:

    Well this is EXACTLY what I was referring to in terms of the bugs. I KNEW it! Go Mags for covering your hair! That’s where they always go first isn’t it? No fair.

    I’m proud of you both for even attempting such an adventure. I would have planted my feet firmly outside the house until 1-Papa found the bug or 2-the sun came up. Which ever were to happen first.

    Miss you guys! Glad you’re having a blast.
    Mitter

  4. Felicity says:

    Tiff,nrnrI had tears in my eyes from laughing….nrI could exactly imagine you two in this bizarre scene!nrMore of this, pleeaaase!nrnrTake care,nrFelicity

  5. Winston says:

    Hey Tiff!
    Just caught up on all your blogging 🙂 Was really nice reading about your adventures. I’m so jealous!
    I went to an introduction to tantra day once at my local buddhist centre. Looks very interesting indeedy! Taking pleasure in EVERYTHING?! Sounds fantastico! Hope you’re lapping it up.
    Lots of love from your three day friend.
    Winston x

  6. Winston says:

    Oh yes and the reason I tracked you down again – HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! Its my birthday the day before yours 🙂 Hope you have a great one!! Wx

  7. tia tracy says:

    Hey Girl…
    Sounds to me like your having too much fun…if there is such a thing.
    Enjoyed the story! 🙂
    Your mama should be there in a few … so let us know when she arrives with her wonderful self … safe & sound. Can you post pictures on this sight?… it would be fun to see some.
    Take care and we be blogging…

    love tia tracy

  8. Maggie says:

    I’ve had to act this story out a few times since I’ve been back…still cracks me up. I just imagine looking at you, laughing so hard you ca’t get the words out, but when you finally do it’s: “YOU JUST PUSHED A 70 YEAR OLD WOMAN OUT OF THE HOUSE AND LOCKED THE DOOR!!!”

    Hey, when survival mode kicks in you don’t know what you are capable of…

    Tell Mama, Papa, the Pis and the kitty and Big Moutain that I said Sawasdee Ka!

  9. Aunt Pam says:

    Hi Tiff. Bloggin you a HAPPY BIRTHDAY girlfriend. Love reading your stories, can’t wait until the book is published. Love you lots. Come home soon. Say hey to my sissy !! send my love.

  10. tia tracy says:

    Hey pam got your blog…
    this could make for a great chatroom

  11. tia tracy says:

    Pam just called … to let me know that her blog is awiting moderation. If something happens to pam’s blog which was written an sent on feb 3 @ 6:19 pm… Aunt Pam says hi tiff…blogging (well not blogging) yu a coapital letters HAPPY BIRTHDAY! girlfriend.

    Love reading your stories , can’t wait till the book is published….
    love you lots come home soon say hey to my sissie and hit her right in the middle of her forhead…if a bug should land on her head. send my love…ok send it!
    by pam via tracy

  12. Cool Dude says:

    The flow of unexpected events keeps you in the fow of living what’s happening RIGHT NOW !!……the delight just magnifies as each one “gets” that anyone could be in any of the others’ “shoes” as they say , or rather wrapped up in the other’s “towel” and the delight of sharing each ones experience and the experience together ..just adds to the delight of the encounter…”who’s doing what !?”.. delightful recounting..lightening with laughter…Thankyou cicada ! …Thankyou “Tip”… (for sharing an “upclose and personal” –yeah sometimes it takes the light momentary exchanges to add depth to the situation..) LOVE LOVE LOVE

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *