BootsnAll Travel Network



Koya-San

Cable cars and cherry blossomsKoya-San cable car from Gokurakubashi 

Koya-san is a raised mountain plateau in the north Wakayama prefecture about 2 hours away from Osaka. It is the home to the monastic complex and headquarters of the Shingon school of Esoteric Buddhism. You can really get a glimpse here of what Japanese religious life would be like and although I didn’t, it is possible to stay in various different temples and join the monks for morning meditation and veggie repas.

From Koya-san to beyond

The beautiful natural setting is reached by a winding through the mountains from Osaka to a little town called Gokurakubashi and then a cable-car ride up to Koya-san itself. Apart from being the home of a school of Buddhism it is home to some mighty cedar trees – Segii. They are super and the smell is unmistakingly Japanese – a smell that immediately transports me to the mountains and wonderful memories of hiking in the great yonder.

Little peopleLand of the giantsIchi-no-hashi bridge - Treescape with man on bridge

I only spent one night in the hostel here but managed to have a good look round. Including an early morning bike ride to the endless tombs of the Ichi-no-hashi cemetary. The atmosphere on the mountain is really quite magic. The frequent sighting of monks busying on to wherever they need to be and surrounded by the giant segii that almost provide the protection and sanctuary of this place and a quiet darkened environment between them that sparks peaceful thought. The air is fresh and cool, and the mountain green and serene…

The mountain gatesCherry blossom bonanzaPilgrims on their morning excursionTombs 'til tomorrow

Koya-san history

Next stop Kyoto…



Tags:

4 responses to “Koya-San”

  1. alan says:

    Tom

    It sounds wonderful. I really enjoy the ability of the Japanese to create an atmosphere of simplicity. Wooden temples and trees are fantastic for relaxing the soul. I have to say, reading your account takes me back – I am envious.

    How long are you in Japan? You MUST get to see Kyomizudera in Kyoto.

    Has anyone got you to eat sugared grasshopper yet?

    ATB
    Alan, from God Knows Where This Time

  2. alan says:

    Tom

    It sounds wonderful. I really enjoyed the ability of the Japanese to create an atmosphere of simplicity. Wooden temples and trees are fantastic for relaxing the soul. I have to say, reading your account takes me back – I am envious.

    How long are you in Japan? You MUST get to see Kyomizudera in Kyoto.

    Has anyone got you to eat sugared grasshopper yet?

    ATB
    Alan, from God Knows Where This Time

  3. alan says:

    I am so confused about my location that I end up sending you 2 duplicate messages. Baka ni natteru mitai

    Ki o tsukete ne

    Alan