BootsnAll Travel Network



Love Unlimited

14th April  2012

After my first Udaipur  shimmering lakeside breakfast of rotis and chai with fellow travelers – I headed off to Badi Village by autorickshaw to find Animal Aid Unlimited.  I was shown around by Trudy who takes most of the emergency calls to the centre.

What a place… there is space for love here. I have to say there aren’t many places in the world where there is space and time for love, but this is one of them. I was touched to the heart several times today, walking round and getting to know the place and its ‘fallen angels’.

There is a handicapped area- it’s for the dogs who have lost the use of their back leg/s through accident or injury. I was invited just to get to know them as my first activity. Spending time and brushing in a bonding process that is just amazing. Most of these dogs have lost the use of their tail – the way they say they are happy. Somehow that wagging energy has moved up to their heart and I swear some of these dogs can smile! They brim with joy and love – having seen it there is no way you could justify putting an animal down for losing the use of a limb or two. There are even cows that have broken legs here and can’t stand. It is against the law to put down a cow in India, but that has made space for them to live and breath and be. This place will change my mind and thought and perceptions.

All the animals have a number tag around their neck that corresponds to their individual medical and history file. I was spending time with cow 31 today who I re-named Kirsty-Anne (the closest to 31 I could think of). She is having paleative care. This is also a hospice too where the old and sick come to spend their last days in peace. She is a magnificent old white-grey lady. I was chatting with her, being present with my touch and giving water by syringe. It is truly amazing what care and attention can do – it gives life and an easier flow to things. Two of Thich Nhat Hanh’s mantras for True Love came to me and I whispered them is Kirsty-Anne’s torn old ear: ” Dear one, I am here for you. I know you are there and I am very happy.” I left her lying peacefully in her stall. I am not sure if she will still be there tomorrow, but I am reminded of the continuation of energy and matter through transformation. If she is – I may take her photo for you to meet her.

I am signing out and off to bed – Udaipur is very nice and I have met some great locals – I’ll tell you all about it soon.



Tags: , ,

3 responses to “Love Unlimited”

  1. Mum says:

    Darling Tom,If Kirsty-Anne is still there tomorrow, give her a hug from me. It breaks my heart to hear of the injuries of these animals. I am there with you! All my love, Mum XOX

  2. Charlotte says:

    Thank you Tom – unlimited love is a good thing 🙂 I loved hearing how you thought up the name Kirsty-Anne – perfect!!!! lots of love xxx

  3. Bryony says:

    Very inspiring tom, thinking of you out there xxx