BootsnAll Travel Network



Moving on…

Today is Tuesday, I am heading out of Udaipur this afternoon by bus, down to Bangalore via Mumbai where I take the train and maybe a Bhangra class too! I am on an elephant pilgrimage.

Yesterday was my last day at Animal Aid. They threw a samosa party with plenty of Mirinda (the most delicious neon orange liquid you’ll ever drink) to go round. There were embarrassing speeches and an even more embarrassing request for a spontaneous dance which thankfully I managed to squeeze my way out of. My time here was very special and felt like the first step on a wonderful new path. That doesn’t mean that I will leave everything else behind – in fact it just enriches what is already been walked. A very big thanks to the wonderful staff, to the founding family – Erika, Jim and Claire , and extra thanks to the beautiful animals I had the great fortune of being with. I hope to write some more reflections over the next few weeks, with photos of course.

The day before yesterday, Kirsty-Anne passed away. It was within a few hours of us deciding that it was only fair to give her a sedation. She had been lying down for about 10 days which is a very, very long time as far as cattle go, due to their complicated digestive systems. It was the right time to go. I had been caring for her from when I arrived, for an hour or 2 each day, and we found the best way to get water down (an empty beer bottle works so well) and how to get down a little grain, cucumber and tomatoes – her favourite.

This was a very special experience for me. I had to listen, to return to myself in order to be present, to keep on asking questions even if I didn’t understand the answers, and to relax into what is there without anxiety. I don’t think I can say what this relationship was, but it gave me confidence. There was a complicity and she knew that I was with her, and I with her – and that is so much already. My gratitude goes on with her continuation.

Again thank you Animal Aid. I hope to be back one day.



Tags:

2 responses to “Moving on…”

  1. Mum says:

    Bon voyage! Can’t wait to here about the elephants. Hope the chapati-bub-bum has cleared up! All love Mum Xoxoxoxoxoxox

  2. Aunty Annie says:

    Hi Tom

    What a wonderful experience to be with these fallen angels. It did make me cry a little but how lovely that you could be there to see these animals smile and share their smells etc! Looking forward to hearing about the elephants. Take care and lots love xxxxxx