BootsnAll Travel Network



To Kyoto and beyond…

So from Koya-san, passing back through Osaka and on to Kyoto.

Great to be back here. It seems nothing has changed, including the prices! Thank goodness for that. Budget being what it is, inflation is something I don’t want to contend with!

Back againFull bloomKamo-gawaKamo-gawa plus eagle

I made the long trek to the hostel of any traveller’s dreams… well not quite but a lot more interesting and comical than a lot of other places. I stayed here last time I was in Kyoto and couldn’t risist the opportunity of visiting again! The establishmeny is run by none other than Mr. Uno, who is a sight to be seen. I don’t think he has changed a bit since last I saw him: white string vest, suit trousers with Calvin Klein-esque briefs pulled above belt line to which the vest is firmly tucked into, an old pair of house shoes and the unmistakable head of unruly, jet-black-dyed carpet of side-parted hair. Fantastic.

Uno House forever!

Daimonji-yama

From this base I did a couple of day hikes. Every summer in August, Kyoto celebrates the Daimonji Gozan Okuribi festival bidding farewell to the souls of ancestors. Kyoto is surrounded on almost all sides by mountains, and each year on the festival it lights up 5 characters on 5 different mountains in fire. One of them is on Daimoni-yama, where I made my first hike.

Yuo can see below half the character at least from the photo taken while still down in Kyoto-city. I made my way up out of the city through forested hills, through wonderful scenes of the freshest greens of spring, far brighter and greener and glowing than the greens you can see in the pictures.

I then found myself literally in the middle of it all: the very centre of the character dai meaning great, and it was of course pretty great. From the centre, you can see the whole of the city. Really incredible, and I was lucky that day because it was so clear and I managed to see all the way off to Osaka’s skyscrapers in the distance.

DaimonjiGuardian statueSpring green and happy treesSpring green and happy grassWhat a viewFrom Kyoto to Osaka, what a view!

The hike continued off through some lovely places. Some of which you can see above. One of the things I love about hiking in Japan is that on a good hike, you can feel the nature, you can move from one perfect setting to another perfect natural setting in a matter of minutes. I think Japan was the first place where I felt surrounded by nature, inside it and breathing it.

The hike finished off back down in the city near a shrine where hardy pilgrims dunk themselves naked under the waterfall there…

Brrr! Bound to be chilly in winter!

 In between hikes I moved from Uno House the cheapest hostel in Kyoto, called very originally and surprisingly… Kyoto Cheapest inn. This is another experience. It’s like an overnight train that doesn’t go anywhere. It is stacked full of bunk beds and floor space and interesting space saving solutions. I found myself in a couple of interesting corners, none of which unfortunately sheltered me from the horrific sound of after-drinking morning snoring. Yikes, it was seriously ground-shaking!

Kyoto's Cheapest

Kurama to Kibune 

The next hike was a small one just byond the hills from Kyoto. A really terrific taste of Japan and easy enough for most. If you ever get to Kyoto this is a gem.  To get to and from the hike I got a lovely train ride from Kyoto through the mountains and valleys. This is worth the trip alone to see a piece of something old-fashioned in a beautiful setting.

The hike itself is pretty straightforward starting in the village of Kurama, climbing over Kurama-yama of the Kitayama mountains and descending into the village of Kibune. Each year the restaurant owners of Kibune contruct platforms over the river that runs through the village. These dining platforms allow diners to be cooled by the water below from the intense summer heat while they eat.

An amusing shock on exit from Kurama stationYuki-jinja shrine precinctTwisted roots of the segii trees

The picturesque KibuneRiverside beautyEarly preparations for summer river-top dining underway

Next hike is the Big One! Stay tuned for an unexpected winter reminder!…



Tags: ,

4 responses to “To Kyoto and beyond…”

  1. alan says:

    Hi Tom

    Yes, I remember Uno – I stayed their just b4 I left Japan in May 98.

    It sounds like you are having a great time.

    ATB
    Alan

  2. minami says:

    oh my god!!! you stayed at Uno too?!
    i stayed there too when i went to Kyoto with Tom. i was scared… thinking about it now, it is a really funny memory. but it wasn’t funny then…

  3. admin says:

    Hi you 2! – My greatest blog followers!
    Alan – I wonder how much Uno has changed? Probably not in the slightest!
    Yes Minami, it was a lot of fun and had lots of character. The only hostel that ever scared me was in Valencia, Spain. It was likea scene from Lord of the Flies… nothing could scare me after that adventure. If you’re reading this Sam, then you will remember exactly what I am talking about!

  4. admin says:

    So, Alan, you’re in China too? And Minami in Australia? You two should get your own blogs!