BootsnAll Travel Network



Bugaku festival at Shitenno-ji

I am a bit late for the prime cherry blossom viewing season, but there are still a few about. The weather was warmer today – a nice spring day for the Bugaku festival that I went to this afternoon.

I don’t really know what Bugaku is, although it seems to be a ceremonial dance. I overheard one gentleman explaining to another Gaijin (Japanese word for foreigner) that the costumes are Korean in origin but that’s going back some.

There were masked solos and group dances, monks and priests on procession and dragons too. The pace was pretty slow but so much to look at making it enjoyable to watch. The accompanying music made it quite haunting. The stage it was all performed on was a bridge over a piece of water that contained hundreds of terrapins who surfaced to join the crowd and observe the ongoings. The performance was set in the Shitenno-ji Temple complex. There was also a flea market going on all around selling everything from carving knives to wooden shoes, sqid balls to kimonos and everything in between.

 Stage and surroundingsOpening prayerCeremonial danceDrum roll please!Group danceGroup dance2Group dance3

 Parading monksDragons Japanese-styleVery Japanese!Blossoms and catA crowd gathers

 The good thing was that if you got a bit tired of the Bugaku, you could wander round the flea market…

 Flea marketFlea Market2

… And if you got bored of that, there was always the colourful characters passing by…

 Photographer's with pride!That is one ugly baby!There go the last of the cherry blossomsThe Popo dude

On the way back I walked through the area where Craig, Victoria and I ate the first night. Also walked through Festival Gate, a massive department store which also happens to be a theme park… there’s a roller coaster running right through! Typical!

 Busy eating streetFestival Gate: shopping mall/ theme park

 



Tags:

4 responses to “Bugaku festival at Shitenno-ji”

  1. alan says:

    Hi Tom

    I see you are in Japan now. If you are in Osaka try to see Kyoto, especially Kyomizudera, and Tetsugaku no Michi (Philosopher’s Walk).

    Where else are you going in Japan?

    ATB

  2. minami says:

    Alan?!
    are you in Australia now?!?!

    wow, you really are a Ninja aren’t you?

  3. admin says:

    Well, on this computer it says that Minami is in Australia and Alan is in Japan… uh-oh, maybe you’re both ninjas!! Thanks Alan, for the recommendations… I am going to the Philosopher’s Walk this afternoon!

  4. Jamie Goodwin (big bruv!) says:

    ‘Ey op chuck, great pics! I hope you’re well as you seemed to have been through it recently, according to mum!! Is it good to have a bit of familiar company after all that time on your tod? What a fascinating looking place Japan is. Now, for my pressies – I’d like a kimono, a terrapin, some squid balls and some wooden shoes, please to compliment my chinese 9000000000″ widescreen plasma tv….and yes you can put it on the tab if you must,

    Laters bro