BootsnAll Travel Network



Christmas Eve in the land of moral clarity

In my fantasy, I am not living in Thailand and my life is not fraught with ambiguity and moral confusion. In this fantasy, I am sitting at Denny’s drinking coffee and reading a magazine. On the plastic table, there is a plastic bowl full of miniature plastic tubs of non-dairy creamer. Christmas lights blink in a staggered rhythm. The air is set just a little too cold and there are instrumental Christmas carols playing. The waitress wears a nametag that reads ‘Belinda.’

“Thank you, Belinda,” I say, as she offers me another refill. I have been here all evening and we’ve long since reached a friendly first-name basis.

Belinda points at a picture of Angelina Jolie in the magazine and says, “She may be famous and all, but that girl’s nothing but an old-fashioned homewrecker. It just ain’t right.”

“Yep,” I say. “You’ve got a point, there.” I know we are both quietly enjoying a moment of moral superiority. We may not have her money or her looks but at least we would never steal another woman’s husband. Especially not someone as sweet as Jennifer Aniston.

“Do you think he really loved Jennifer?” I ask.

Belinda says, “Oh, I think so. They always looked so happy together in photos, didn’t they?”

“Yeah, they did,” I say. “But who knows? Maybe they fought all the time or wanted different things in life. Maybe they’re actually happier now.”

“Well, it’s still a shame, either way,” she says, as she fills up my coffee cup and then walks away shaking her head.

I am suddenly thankful that I am on firm, familiar ground, sitting here at Denny’s enjoying a strong cup of coffee and reading a glossy magazine and feeling smugly certain about my ability to judge the difference between right and wrong behavior. But mostly, in this particular fantasy, I am just relieved that I do not have to worry about these things in my own life.



Tags: ,

2 responses to “Christmas Eve in the land of moral clarity”

  1. Charlotte says:

    I’m saving up copies of US Weekly for you that a girl at work brings to me in order for me to shrink my brain.

  2. jacques le Boofah says:

    happy jesus day asnd new year.
    nobody can steal a heart because noone really owns one.. morality is a construct..

    Keep up the shit hot writing.. housebound nerds like me need to live vicariously through the contemplative ruminations of awesome writers like you. Thanks for entertaining with your eloquent words..hope 2007 brings more.

    Jacques

  3. admin says:

    Dear Jacques,

    When I am famous, you are officially invited on my book tours. Because in THIS particular fantasy, being a writer is sort of like being a 70s rock star and I’ll get to bring my friends along on the big fancy bus with the stripper pole. There will be groupies, liquor cabinets full of whiskey and drugs-on-demand. That will totally rule, won’t it?

    Thank you for being you.

    Love,
    Sandy

  4. admin says:

    US WEEKLY! US WEEKLY! AAHHHH YEAAHHHHHH!!!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *