BootsnAll Travel Network



South Dakota

Well, in South Dakota we got to see and do a lot. There are two caves there that are National Parks, so we visited both Wind and Jewel Caves. We visited Mt. Rushmore of course, and the Crazy Horse memorial which is an unfinished mountain carving even bigger than Rushmore.
Of course we also went to Harney Peak, the highest point in S Dakota, and went back into the corner of Wyoming to see Devil’s Tower. Devil’s Tower is the mountain in ‘Close Encounters of the Third Kind’. If you remember the mashed potatoes sculpture…
Click below for the photo record of our adventures in the ‘South’. 🙂

rushmore.jpg

The most famous view of Rushmore. Wow.

crazyhorseblast.jpg

I don’t know if they’ll ever finish the monument but they were blasting while we were there so that was really cool!

crazy2.jpg

This is the model of what it will look like when finished.

jewelcavebacon.jpg

It’s hard to do justice to the caves in photographs. This one I took in Jewel Cave but Jewel and Wind were both impressive. They are also both in the top 5 longest caves in the WORLD.

davemollyharneypk.jpg

Dave and Molly with the lookout tower of Harney Peak in the background.

harney peak1.jpg

Dave and I on Harney Peak.

harney peak2.jpg

Summit tower on Harney Peak.

mule.jpg

A mule begging for a snack in Custer State Park.

davedevils.jpg

Dave with Devil’s Tower in the background. It is a strange looking formation!

devilstowercarshow.jpg

There was a classic car show in the town just outside of Devil’s Tower. I thought the tower looked good with a view of the cars below.



Tags:

Comments are closed.