BootsnAll Travel Network



Leaving Alaska

Leaving Alaska

So, the day we left we went out for sourdough pancakes for breakfast for a last bit of tradition before we head into Canada. We sure have had a good time up here. You know, when we bought Alaska from the Russians we only paid 7.25 million for it, and congress didn’t want to pay that! We thought we were doing Russia a favor. They called it Seward’s Ice Box and Seward’s Folly (secretary of state was Seward at the time). Of course, no one could have known a gazillion dollars of oil were sitting up on the North Slope, but even with out that it still would have been a bargain.
Last summer in the lower 48 we had a lot of adventures, but we really worked hard for those adventures. Climbing Mt. Whitney in California and King’s Peak in Utah were excellent, but we had a plan last summer. This summer we came up here with only the vaguest of plans and adventure just leaps out at you from every corner. Go fishing, meet bears, both black and grizzly. Go to the city and find awesome hiking and biking trails. Go to the middle of nowhere and find nice people and good food. Go for a drive and see moose and porcupine. I used to think Montana, Wyoming, and Idaho were wild but now I see, Alaska is what they probably were 50 years ago.



Tags:

Comments are closed.