BootsnAll Travel Network



Japan – day 3

Our third day was another day of serendipity. Steve did not have to go to work since it was a holiday there so we went driving around the countryside in his amazingly cool car (pictured later). We wanted to up to this cable car thing that takes you to the top of a mountain where you are supposed to get a great view, but it was rainy and foggy all day. We headed that way thinking it would clear, but no such luck. We were driving around not knowing what to do when we saw a sign with a picture of a Buddha statue on it and an arrow. We decided to follow. We didn’t have any idea what we were headed to, it looked like a picture of a cool statue but we didn’t know. Steve said ‘I hope we are not driving around following signs to a Buddhist university or something’. But we kept following and what we found was amazing! The statue is so tall….bigger than the Statue of Liberty, possibly the biggest statue I’ve ever seen. It’s funny how we just came upon it by accident, right outside Tokyo. It’s not written up in any guidebook and Steve who’s lived there 6 months had never heard anyone mention it.

131daveni1.jpg

Dave and I at a shrine we stopped at.

132stevencar.jpg

Steve and super-cool car. Too cool for his job, apparently. 🙂

134buddha1.jpg

Big Buddha!

133buddhacutout.jpg

Dave and I inside a Big Buddha cut-out.

135garden.jpg

Garden area around the statue/shrine.

136bell.jpg

Me ringing the bell. At the shrines you traditionally ring the bell to get the diety’s attention before praying, but really everybody rings them for fun as well.

137flowers.jpg

Some beautiful poppies in the garden area.

138bigbuddha.jpg
It really is a big statue!



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *