BootsnAll Travel Network



143: Otago Peninsula (1)

At last I was out and about again.. I went to Otago Peninsula just off Dunedin and it was a lovely wee drive..

Got pretty bored the last few days since weather was crap, rainy and rather cold, so I had to stay put for a few days in Dunedin.
I made the best of it and spent lots of time in a descent Internet cafe (which are very rare in New Zealand!) doing mostly blog and photo updates (lots from NZ but also still got about half of my photos from Japan to go through and send to flickr..). Still I got rather restless and was keen to get away from the computer…

I was very glad to see weather improve yesterday afternoon so I decided to head out to Otago Peninsula today for a bit of sightseeing.. Didn’t get very far (only made it to.. you never guess.. Portobello, which is about half way down the peninsula on the inner coast (facing Dunedin). Drive was very slow but lovely right along the coast next to teh water. Plenty of Shags and a few Herons along the road, wonderful sights across the water. Peninsula is old volcanic area which became quite obvious when I drove to wards the middle of the Peninsula which has lots of coned hills.

Saw a bunch of Geese that I could not identify properly near Portobello Aquarium and later some Black Swans and in the end a few Canada Geese. The Canada Geese were a fab sight as they were out near the water first but soon came waddling towards my car ( I was turning around whe I noticed them. Stopped the engine and watched them walk towards me. Right in front of the car they decided to have a little drink from a puddle and stayed tehre for a few minutes, then moved on.

Around that time the weather suddenly changed an a rainstorm approached very quickly. I was glad to be in the car but the geese didn’t seem to mind the rain;-) It was close to sunset and the combination of low sun, patchy clouds and the stormy rain made the view over the bay look fabulous.

It was lovely to be outside again enjoying the wonderful landscape, taking photos and watching some wildlife again here after 2 days of sitting on the computer. One wonders how I will manage to sit in an office again for 5 long days when I’m back home;-)

Otago Peninsula Photos



Tags: , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *