BootsnAll Travel Network



114: Nikko, Chuzenji & Yumoto

I went to Nikko, 2 hours north-west of Tokyo. Nikko is a UNESCO World Heritage Site for its famous Temples and Shrines and it’s a must see for anyone travelling to Japan I guess. I also did a trip to some nearby areas, namely Chuzenji and Yumoto.

Nikko was considerably colder than Tokyo as it’s at higher altitude (about 550m above sea) but it was still quite nice weather with clear, sunny sky.

This was the first trip I took with my Japan Rail Pass. It took quite a while to find the right Office at Tokyo Station that would exchange my vocher which I got in Thailand (the voucher must be bought outside of Japan) for the real ticket.
Eventually I managed and got on my first Shinkansen Bullet Train. Frankly, a faily box standard looking train with no more than average seats. Kinda expected a bit more ;-) Still the trip was relatively quick due to te speed at which those Bullet trains travel.
I had to change a train once but after about 2h I reached Nikko, it was about lunch time.

The next day I travelled to Chuzenji and Yumoto which are 1 and 2 hours from Nikko along the same bus route.
This was a rather interesting trip and I ended up walking in more than ankle deep snow fighting against snow storms and giving my selection of winter clothes a good trial run.. Luckily I had checked the weather forecast for Nikko before and knew that it was supposed to be close to 0C. I had not expected Snow or Snow Storms though;-)
Still 0C scared me enough to go out and buy some longjohns and gloves before heading to Niko.. bl**dy glad I did as withough I would have serisouly struggled!

No Hat you wonder? Yeah well.. I tried VERY hard to find one in Tokyo but I could not find a suitable winter hat so I ended up using my Buff** which worked well enough… Oh and my sisters sarong which she gave me as multipurpose backup (used it as towel, beach towel and dust mask already) worked very well as scarf in those freezing conditions out there 🙂
Many thanks to me sister!

**: A scarf like piece of cloth that you can amongst other things turn into a hat..

.. yet more details to come later.. watch outfor the snowstorm pics..



Tags: , ,

One response to “114: Nikko, Chuzenji & Yumoto”

  1. […] Tokyo 1 and Tokyo 2 Nikko, Chuzenji and Yumoto Kamakura Fuji Go-Ko Takayama Unzen Tags: Tag Index      « 133: Kiwi Style | Home | 135: Vrrooom… » […]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *