BootsnAll Travel Network



What Are We Thinking?!?!?!

The journey… 6 months around the world. The question… how does one simply skip out for half a year and go galavanting all over, literally, God’s green earth? What I keep hearing from people is: “Now or never”. With the impending future of ever increasing responsibility (read: kids, career, house, life, etc), it can be overwhelming… But, I don’t believe in nevers… however, “now or a long ass time from now when your kids are out of the house” is more real… Then the thought pops up that noone can know what life will hand you. Maybe Paula and I won’t be able to travel as easily then as we can now… so, for now, “now or never” ends up being the compelling argument.

A trip like this takes serious resources and planning… While paula and I are not planners, what we lack in that department, I’d like to think we more than make up with our love of freedom; not being tied down to ‘a plan’.

Resources, though…. this is the tricky part. We’ve decided to rent out our house. We found a nice couple to rent to but they moved in on Monday. Oops, only gave ourselves 1 day to move out. Luckily we only had to move our clothes and necessities for the trip and for winter. Every thing else got boxed and labeled and put in the attic. Where are we now? Well, for the first time in over 11 years for me and a few less for paula, we are living with ‘the folks’. We’ll be there until we can find a short term place to crash or until we leave… which ever comes first.

Posted by: Dan



Tags: ,

2 Responses to “What Are We Thinking?!?!?!”

  1. Krisdpo Says:

    Hi!!
    Very new to this website and not even sure if this response is going to reach you but I read your blog and can completly relate.
    My boyfriend and I are in the preliminary stages of planning a 6 month excursion to Europe beginning in April until at least October.
    I feel the same way…”no regrets, now or never, why wait, who knows where i’ll be years from now etc..”
    So we’re just going. I need to put my place up for rent as well and i’m grappling with the decision of when to begin looking for tenants. Not to be repetitive, but we plan to leave in the spring so i’m thinking maybe February would be a good time to start??
    We’re looking to bounce around for the first month or so, exploring and finding out where we’d be most comfortable “living”.
    Our ideal situation is to rent somewhere and work a few days a week to at least pay the rent and allow us to travel when we so desire.
    Where are you planning on going? Backpacking? Living? renting? working?
    Look forward to hearing from you.
    Kris and Gregg

  2. Posted from United States United States
  3. Amy White Says:

    Holy crap! You guys ROCK! I’m so excited for you… what an adventure. You never regret the things you do, only those that you don’t do. nrnrYeehaw!

  4. Posted from United States United States

Leave a Reply