BootsnAll Travel Network



Uncle Tan’s Jungle Safari Tour

We decided to go on a two day, one night jungle tour. We started with a boat ride along a river. As we went along, we stopped many times along one bank or the other, sighting Long Tailed Macaques, Probiscus Monkeys, Hornbills and Egrets and other birds. Apparently, there was a 6-8 foot snake swimming behind our boat which was spotted by the other boat carrying other safari-goers.

When we arrived at camp, there was a monitor lizard walking around as well as a bearded pig. The camp consisted of a number of huts on stilts and a common hut for people to hang out and eat/drink/play music, etc…

That night, we went on a short hike around the camp. Since it is the wet season, we had to walk through thigh high waters at times to see everything (in the rain of course). We saw a bunch of millipedes, a poisonous scorpion, and a tarantula (or at least a hole in a tree where it was supposed to live). It was fun to get out and get wet, etc. One person was lucky and came back to camp with a leech on the toe of her boot… The funny part to me was when paula turned to me and said “hey, if were in the states right now, we’d be on our way to work right now”… hehe…

The next morning we went on a boat tour along the river and spotted an Orangutan in the wild!!!! This is extremely rare! This beautiful and massive “Man of the Forest” was having his breakfast high up in a tree. We saw more Probiscus monkeys as well. It is phenomal to watch them literally dive from one branch on one tree to another branch on another tree 10 feet away (and 15 feet down) from it. Also, we saw more macaques, birds, a monitor lizard caming swimming by.

We got a special treat on the way back… as we were boating along, someone spotted a crocodile! We got to see it from about 10 feet away as we boated past!

dan



Tags:

2 Responses to “Uncle Tan’s Jungle Safari Tour”

  1. Liya Green Says:

    Glad you didn’t have any close encounter with all these animals!

  2. Posted from United States United States
  3. Aurelie Says:

    Hi,
    I’m planning to do the Uncle Tan’s jungle safari tour next week with some friends but I’m reading from their website that they might be close in 2008 for some license problem. It seems you just come back from there… do you know if they’re still open?
    Thanks for info!
    Cheers,
    Aurelie

  4. Posted from China China

Leave a Reply